Best Xenforo Themes or Custom that doesnt look like 5+ years old?

surfsup

Lets face it, literally all the Xenforo themes still have such an old look to them and nothing has really changed in the past 5-10 years from theme wise - its still the same layouts. So that being said, who here knows or have done something amazing where it looks very modern and unique from all the other xenforo themes out there?

Lets face it, literally all the Xenforo themes still have such an old look to them and nothing has really changed in the past 5-10 years from theme wise - its still the same layouts. So that being said, who here knows or have done something amazing where it looks very modern and unique from all the other xenforo themes out there?
Web design has mostly been fairly stagnate in the last 5-10 years, as most things have focused on a minimal style that is more app-inspired than anything else. Even outside of forum styles, I haven't really seen that many designs that are necessarily different from any other design recently.

@Gemma's Idle Chatter is definitely different from the Xenforo norm in a number of ways. I've toyed with nicking some ideas for WC2 but have not gone there yet.

My own site is probably very much what you are talking about. The style was refreshed, but not substantially changed, when I upgraded to 2.x so it basically dates to 2014 (we went live in June of that year).

Web design has mostly been fairly stagnate in the last 5-10 years, as most things have focused on a minimal style that is more app-inspired than anything else. Even outside of forum styles, I haven't really seen that many designs that are necessarily different from any other design recently.
I think CMSes have kind of flattened things, too, since sites are now mostly templates displaying information from a database rather than being built page by page in HTML. Pro designers have a good sense of what works and have standard templates that they just modify for new sites rather doing a whole new design for each site. That is certainly the case for the company where I work. We hired a local design house to redo our site a couple years ago and when I compare to other sites they've done, I can see where there is definitely a "house style" there.

But really I mean... It's a message board right, that we're talking about? Same could be said for just about every other type of website there is. Just like newspapers and magazines- there really hasn't been any radical changes in design to those since the 80s, because it's a format in itself.

In web pages though, the first thing you take into consideration these days is the mobile experience. That means simplicity is king right there. It's a bit overblown and a little bit pretentious to me at least, to lament the perceived lack of "modern and unique" in a format that's looking first, to mobile friendliness.

But really I mean... It's a message board right, that we're talking about? Same could be said for just about every other type of website there is. Just like newspapers and magazines- there really hasn't been any radical changes in design to those since the 80s, because it's a format in itself.

In web pages though, the first thing you take into consideration these days is the mobile experience. That means simplicity is king right there. It's a bit overblown and a little bit pretentious to me at least, to lament the perceived lack of "modern and unique" in a format that's looking first, to mobile friendliness.
The issue is more that the same color palettes are used, or at similar ones. The same goes for elements like navigation, or node design; most style designers have a set design they stick too, and they do not move outside of that much now.

You can still design for simplicity, and still focus on elements that make your design stand out from the rest of your portfolio; header and navigation, followed by node and message styling are what differentiate a style the most for example.

very 90s in appearance
I dipped back into the 90s quite recently with this:
betonthebluesTMH.jpg

You can still design for simplicity, and still focus on elements that make your design stand out from the rest of your portfolio; header and navigation, followed by node and message styling are what differentiate a style the most for example.
The little "lights" in the navbar tabs turn off on hover, there's 1x1-pixel cloth looking BG images, radical coloring... But in the end it's still XF threadbit.

The same goes for elements like navigation, or node design; most style designers have a set design they stick too, and they do not move outside of that much now.
Folks like @Russ and TH do this for the economy of it. Not to break much new design ground. Because truly custom one-off work is expensive. You'll be paying in the neighborhood of 6-700 USD and up for that stuff.

And it's still just a message board.

I had an idea to launch these little "Pixel Exit Experiences", it would essentially take one of our styles and heavily customize a XenForo installation diverting far from a traditional forum look using add-ons, custom template edits unique to that site, and custom widgets. One potential problem with that would be countless support items saying "well your PE Experience can do this, why can't this style". Another problem, I just haven't had the time :D.

It would be hard to release such a unique style some might seek to an extent. We can't export template mods, widgets, phrases, and other configurations so it's a little limited. I can code a style to look like anything, but having certain functionality might require an add-on to change how XenForo works. Our framework allows for quite the custom changes to each style to make them all look rather unique from one another. Bolt is a good example: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/sneak-peek-at-some-new-styles.185580/#post-1471383

All that being said, a good majority of my custom jobs are simply recreating old forum designs because owners are happy with them and their users enjoy it. You flip the design from a traditional vb3 look to something like Reddit, you'll more than likely bring out the pitchforks.

I had an idea to launch these little "Pixel Exit Experiences", it would essentially take one of our styles and heavily customize a XenForo installation diverting far from a traditional forum look using add-ons, custom template edits unique to that site, and custom widgets. One potential problem with that would be countless support items saying "well your PE Experience can do this, why can't this style". Another problem, I just haven't had the time :D.

It would be hard to release such a unique style some might seek to an extent. We can't export template mods, widgets, phrases, and other configurations so it's a little limited. I can code a style to look like anything, but having certain functionality might require an add-on to change how XenForo works. Our framework allows for quite the custom changes to each style to make them all look rather unique from one another. Bolt is a good example: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/sneak-peek-at-some-new-styles.185580/#post-1471383

All that being said, a good majority of my custom jobs are simply recreating old forum designs because owners are happy with them and their users enjoy it. You flip the design from a traditional vb3 look to something like Reddit, you'll more than likely bring out the pitchforks.
I still have a ton of experimental designs I did for xf1, but without the template modification system being able to do per style modifications releasing or supporting any of what I did is just a nightmare.

@Gemma's Idle Chatter is definitely different from the Xenforo norm in a number of ways. I've toyed with nicking some ideas for WC2 but have not gone there yet.

My own site is probably very much what you are talking about. The style was refreshed, but not substantially changed, when I upgraded to 2.x so it basically dates to 2014 (we went live in June of that year).
that idle chatter is pretty cool!

Top Bottom