Best way to save memory?

Installing an arcade and adding lots of games will definitely increase your memory. There are some arcade games on my site I don't think anyone plays. Gonna delete them later.

Making backups and forgetting to delete them from the server increases memory. I can't seem to delete backups on my server. I have to ask @Slavik to help me with that.

Error logs are the biggest culprits of memory hogs. Sometimes an addon goes wrong and your error log fills up like crazy. My error log file was 5GB couple weeks ago before I uninstalled a bunch of modifications and deleted it.

Sometimes other addons install additional folders that contain stuff that you don't need. For instance, at one point there was a bug in @Rigel Kentaurus RSS modification that increased the amount of rss xmls that were made and my memory blew up to around 3GB. A year later, the old version of @Chris Deeming addon installer did not delete the original imported zip files. The current version works great btw. That's the very first addon that you need to install since your a noob.

One of my former sites got out of control with disk utilization, ballooning up to near 25gig. I ran some image-optimzation routines, which made a dramatic difference, and modified the settings so that uploaded images aren't kept at their actual/original size.

My remaining site keeps a 1000px width limit on full-size images, and something less for first-view. There are close to 10k pictures (not including thumbnails) and total picture utilization is above 4gig. I believe that using ImageMagick helps, but in the end I'm still messing around with the uploader's image quality. Your final size may differ, depending on how aggressive you're willing to go with compression settings. I do maintain some sort of upload limit, but just to ensure that no one can exceed server settings. Patient users can still upload as many images as they wish.

Regardless, I agree with the previous comment - let your users have as much as they want. Also, learning command-line scripted backups/restores will save your brain cells (y)

2TB (RAID 1) storage 36GB RAM on one of mine, on another 1TB (RAID 1) storage and 24GB RAM and the final one 128GB SSD (RAID 1) and 24GB RAM.
First is running $135 a month, second one is $85 a month and the last one is $110.
The first server is just sitting idle - don't use it for anything right now. If the new forum I started takes off I'll probably move it there as what it is in reference to usually ends up generating a LOT of photos (mud dogging - for those that don't know what that means, just boys and their big boy toys playing in the mud and doing their best to not get stuck/buried).
How did you get it that cheap? Colo? Really shady host?

How did you get it that cheap? Colo? Really shady host?
ServerComplete. Was a deal on dual L5520's that they were offering (base of $55 for it). Got two of them as soon as I found out about it and when I went to get a third they had already sold out of them. Once they got a few more in I grabbed a third one. I've been really happy with them overall, and they are who @Mike Edge uses for his business related stuff.

One of my former sites got out of control with disk utilization, ballooning up to near 25gig. I ran some image-optimzation routines, which made a dramatic difference, and modified the settings so that uploaded images aren't kept at their actual/original size.

My remaining site keeps a 1000px width limit on full-size images, and something less for first-view. There are close to 10k pictures (not including thumbnails) and total picture utilization is above 4gig. I believe that using ImageMagick helps, but in the end I'm still messing around with the uploader's image quality. Your final size may differ, depending on how aggressive you're willing to go with compression settings. I do maintain some sort of upload limit, but just to ensure that no one can exceed server settings. Patient users can still upload as many images as they wish.

Regardless, I agree with the previous comment - let your users have as much as they want. Also, learning command-line scripted backups/restores will save your brain cells (y)
How do you maintain an upload limit ?

Did he mean upload limit on the sizes of the images or the amount of images a user is able to upload?

Because I'm really looking for something that can limit the amount of images a user may upload.

Hey,

I asked someone for help to see how I can store my images to help save memory.
He recommended that I saved them as files? Does anyone know how to do this?

Has absolutely nothing to do with memory. Has everything to do with disk space. This is no different than your other thread.

Well, I am assuming it doesn't help with memory if people are still complaining about people uploading images (lots of them) :p
Get a dedicated server, slap a couple of 1 or 2TB drives in it and go to town.:p
I'm about to upgrade the server I run my Apple forum on to 2TB drives (and purchase a RAID card to have installed). Would love to do the new Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD's, but at roughly $650 each x 4 I don't think I want to for a hobby site. ;)

Get a dedicated CDN or use a public API key for an uploading service. Not completely related, but if you choose to server images on your lonesome, Nginx helps a crap ton with that. I will never use an Apache setup the rest of my life.

Well, I am assuming it doesn't help with memory if people are still complaining about people uploading images (lots of them) :p

This isn't an issue till your site really takes off and people start uploading a lot of pictures. I was worried at first a little as well. My site hasn't "taken off" let but has been open a year. So far the only one that goes crazy with up loads.

I have he en on sites that don't allow uploading. They want you to use image hosting sites. That's an option. That can be a pain for some members.

You could only have uploads for certain user groups. After X amount of posts you could move someone into that user group. Could be 100, 200, 500 post or what ever you choose.

I just leave it. I have a while before I need to worry about that.

James

Actually it isn't, Flexin. Imageshack had an API, ok it really wasn't one, but they had a JS and PHP (I think) code back in the mid 2000s where you could place it into your template and members could upload directly to IS's servers. The only problem with that is their quality has suffered since then and Imgur is far better. All you have to do is buy a pro account after contacting them and applying for use of their API and getting your site whitelisted with them so that you may be able to use their service after X amount of queries a day. I did it once using a free account back in the day before they became popular. It isn't hard if you know your way around APIs like the one Twitter uses.

OTOH, if you take into account of members' internet connections you could just set up an upload limit of 250 KB in your uploader's code and that will cut down on space issues.

Top Bottom