Best way to save memory?

Memory (specifically RAM) is used by the web server to make the programs run... very simply.. the more memory you have... the more your server can do.

I think you are refering to Hard drive space (eg how much space is on your C: drive in your PC).. which.. on XenForo is realy only taken up by attachments...

I thought attatchments were memory (RAM)
Geesh I have lots to learn LOL

Okay if you have a community posting lots and lots of pictures, your going to want to have more Hard Drive Space rather than ram?

Okay if you have a community posting lots and lots of pictures, your going to want to have more Hard Drive Space rather than ram?
Current, but it also depends. If many people would upload pictures at the same time, it would affect your RAM as well.

Yes, I've found that as cameras take much better pictures now, my attachment usage has increased quite a bit over the last few years. When I migrated to XF in Feb 2012, I had 5.5GB of attachments from phpBB3. I'm now using more than 12GB of space

Community is going to kill everyone with uploading pictures.
Which forum is that info for matt? Z22 or fitness
Z22SE
stats.webp

Yes, I've found that as cameras take much better pictures now, my attachment usage has increased quite a bit over the last few years. When I migrated to XF in Feb 2012, I had 5.5GB of attachments from phpBB3. I'm now using more than 12GB of space
That's quite a lot, but I think it also depends on the community you're running. If your community is more of a visual type or if your community topic is to "show-off", so yea, your attachement folder would be pretty big. Mine is quite large too, about 5GB, and it's that much because vB is a crappy system that doesn't know how to handle albums/pictures, so users get the idea and stop uploading.

Ahh i seee now...
How much ram and hard drive space does everyone run on their forum? And how much a month are you paying for hosting...
The RAM and HDD depends on the amount of users and data you have. A board that just started can be on a shared hosting with 200-500MB for quite a while (without carrying about RAM too much).

That's quite a lot, but I think it also depends on the community you're running. If your community is more of a visual type or if your community topic is to "show-off", so yea, your attachement folder would be pretty big. Mine is quite large too, about 5GB, and it's that much because vB is a crappy system that doesn't know how to handle albums/pictures, so users get the idea and stop uploading.
Yep, men + cars = lots of pictures

idk whats worse with posting pictures.... men and cars, girls and fashion, or pet lovers and their pets

Im a pet lover type of guy haha

Ahh i seee now...
How much ram and hard drive space does everyone run on their forum? And how much a month are you paying for hosting...
2TB (RAID 1) storage 36GB RAM on one of mine, on another 1TB (RAID 1) storage and 24GB RAM and the final one 128GB SSD (RAID 1) and 24GB RAM.
First is running $135 a month, second one is $85 a month and the last one is $110.
The first server is just sitting idle - don't use it for anything right now. If the new forum I started takes off I'll probably move it there as what it is in reference to usually ends up generating a LOT of photos (mud dogging - for those that don't know what that means, just boys and their big boy toys playing in the mud and doing their best to not get stuck/buried).

Is there anyway to limit users on the amount of pictures they can upload?
Once they reach their limit, they have to delete pics from recent tthreads that they made to upload more.
Just trying to figure out a way to save memory. I know most people go broke once users start uploading pictures daily. having to buy very expensive hosting.

Top Bottom