Best way to censor profanity without losing ALL its meaning

Radio Gunk

We are upgrading our ad monetization profile and in order to do so many of the words my members use LIBERALLY now need to be censored, but I would love to do it in a way that doesn’t completely lose meaning, like turning f*** into **** is horrible, and f**k apparently does not cut it. (Not even sure what I did in my example works!) any advice you can give me, or if there is a “translator” I can use would be appreciate. I don’t mind I’m putting each individual word into the censoring module, but just trying to make it the least destructive to the overall content.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
F--K meaning is For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
Maybe you will find definitions for every swearing word, so you can write each sentence of them after :)
Good luck!

Be aware that bypassing the censor is against the rules, although some leeway will be given due to the thread subject.

One approach is to replace the profanity with something that makes it look funny and stupid whilst keeping the context alive. The F word (TFW to save typing here) is a multipurpose word, so for example the exclamation
TFW off you TFWing TFW
would - if you replaced it with Fudge - become
Fudge off you fudgeing fudge.

And so on. Make up your own alternatives.

f**k apparently does not cut it
My board have been fine with just doing the middle two letters for the f and s words. My failing was not structuring it properly so it was not catching derived words like "motherf-ing". My fellow admins were quite amused when I went on a profane tirade in our private forum to test the censor rules after I fixed that. :LOL:

One approach is to replace the profanity with something that makes it look funny and stupid whilst keeping the context alive. The F word (TFW to save typing here) is a multipurpose word, so for example the exclamation
TFW off you TFWing TFW
would - if you replaced it with Fudge - become
Fudge off you fudgeing fudge.

And so on. Make up your own alternatives.
It's the approach we do with our sci-fi oriented site. Words like "felgercarb" & "frack" are meaningless to most people but when used as a censor word replacement it keeps the intent of the original text in place but the community members are aware of it's meaning. Plus it amuses some of our members to see which words get swapped out and to what.

Of course you then run the risk of, when somebody discovers the swapping, them testing a bunch of different words to see what it catches. :LOL:

We let people swear just not excessively. Say F**** for all I care just not every other word. We censor no "offensive words" but we do censor how much.

Top Bottom