Best way for backup.

Bash script which runs at midnight and copies the forum files to the remote server using rsync, and then another bash script drops the database at 4am via mysqldump, which is then uploaded to two different remote sites for rolling storage.

I'm just at the beginning stages of learning xenforo and am trying to follow the recommendations.

"Shell access" means I have to change to a different server at my host. This will require a one time charge plus a monthly increase.

Bash script which runs at midnight and copies the forum files to the remote server using rsync, and then another bash script drops the database at 4am via mysqldump, which is then uploaded to two different remote sites for rolling storage.
How does this work with large databases? does it have any impact on the server doing a mysqldump each night,

Doesn't cause any load on my VPS, but then, I've got just under 220k posts and 5k members, do it's not that big.

I run the mysqldump with single transaction option so it doesn't lock any tables, but 4am there is hardly anyone using the forum anyway.

Suppose you could set the niceness on the mysqldump to use less CPU is that would be an issue?

Top Bottom