Best practices for new user registrations

tribedude

Since the move from vb, we have been doing our tweaks and fixes and the transition to xenforo has been smooth overall. Our users like the new xenforo platform and became used to using it almost immediately.

We still have registration closed, however. Now I am taking steps to open up registration again and I am wondering how some of you other forum admins handle your registration options...

Previously on vb I used to manually approve each registration and also did not allow registrants with webmail addresses like hotmail and yahoo (blocked from a very large blacklist). I did not approve many new registrations. Basically we were a walled garden for many years, but now I would like to open up for new registrants. Before I do this though...

I know Xenforo has a bunch of different options when it comes to registering new users, various types of captchas and the stopforumspam API to screen out spammers. I also see there is a free addon (TPU: Detect and Block Spam Registrations) that can be used.

My question is, what combination of things works the best for you fellow forum admins? How shall I set up our registration options?

Last edited:
Set a couple of registration Q&A questions unique to your forum niche. We found that stopped pretty much all spammers from being able to register.

Make registration easy, block new users posting links and make a notice letting them know this will happen.

Make registration easy, block new users posting links and make a notice letting them know this will happen.

Is this simply a matter of limiting link posting to the 'Registered' group (I have a secondary group called 'Members' for our existing users) so new registrations cannot do this?

I have searched through the ACP usergroup permissions to find a way to block link posting but cannot find it... I can see a way to block link posting in a signature, but can't find where to do it in an actual post or reply to a post... Is there a way to block a usergroup from posting a link in a post or reply? How do I set that? Thanks.

I wouldn't block hotmail and yahoo users. They account for 20% of my members. My problem is I can't get the registration confirmation emails into their inboxes with hotmail's spam protection.

Yeah... not sure about blocking web-mail users. Doesn't that limit the bulk of users? I would never use a corp or edu ID to sign up for a forum unless it was work/industry related.

Top Bottom