XF 2.2 Best practice for creating "ask a .." forum that limits replies to particular user groups

Chernabog

Okay, first let me apologize if I've posted this in the wrong forum.

I am having some creative block and was hoping someone or someones :) could give some insight, thoughts and perhaps a best way to create a forum which would allow someone to post a thread and then block replies to that thread to only the thread originator and another allowed user group.

So, for example, Ask a Developer. I have a question so I post a thread and then only members of the developer group can reply to it. However, since it is my thread I can also reply. That way it doesn't become a free for all discussion.

Any thoughts on how to make that a reality?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
It is not possible to set permissions at the thread/user level.

The permission to reply would be on a per forum/user group level.
It is not possible to set permissions at the thread/user level.

The permission to reply would be on a per forum/user group level.

Thanks @Brogan and others for taking the time to respond. I figured it would likely have to be a bit of working with user groups to make it work as expected. Although, I think - even with user groups - it wouldn't make it so that only the original poster and people allowed to 'answer' can comment on the particular thread.

Liam (RIP :(❤️) had Split Reply Permissions that would have made this work perfectly. It's several years old and hasn't been taken on by other developers, so likely not a viable option. @Ozzy47 is there any chance that this could maybe make its way into being an updated add-on?

It is a handy idea. Thanks again, everyone.

Thanks @Brogan and others for taking the time to respond. I figured it would likely have to be a bit of working with user groups to make it work as expected. Although, I think - even with user groups - it wouldn't make it so that only the original poster and people allowed to 'answer' can comment on the particular thread.

Liam (RIP :(❤️) had Split Reply Permissions that would have made this work perfectly. It's several years old and hasn't been taken on by other developers, so likely not a viable option. @Ozzy47 is there any chance that this could maybe make its way into being an updated add-on?

It is a handy idea. Thanks again, everyone.

This,

Top Bottom