Best/Most Reliable HDD Manufacturer?

What is, in your opinion, the best HDD manufacturer?

• Total voters
HOLY CHIT!!!!!! I am buying one of those...seriously I am about to contact sales right now to find the price.
5.12 TB with a 6 GB/s read 4.4 GB/s write and Access Latency (512 Byte)30µs...I mean really...sorry I'll be back I have to change my clothes.

Q: Which is the best Hard Drive ?
A: Your next one. Today's hard drive might die today.

Hard drives are designed to fail.
None of them are very good.
I'm not sure there is any trustworthy data on their reliability.
Google produced some data on reliability but that's only relevant if you use hard drives like google does.
I've killed a hard drive or two by picking it up while it is still spinning - or accidentally kicking the case.
Any Hard drive running on a USB cable .... probably cuts the life expectancy in half.

When you buy a new hard drive, you need to ask yourself, when this drive dies in two months .... what data on it will I need ? and how can I make sure I have it.

HOLY CHIT!!!!!! I am buying one of those...seriously I am about to contact sales right now to find the price.
5.12 TB with a 6 GB/s read 4.4 GB/s write and Access Latency (512 Byte)30µs...I mean really...sorry I'll be back I have to change my clothes.
Update: I am sold....ordering an extreme 320 GB or a pair of 80s to see if I can make muh baby scream still pondering which...yeah the 5.12 TB Octal is $100,000 so I probably will just pass right over that :-)

Yeah they're pretty amazing. My hosts SQL server is built with FusionIO drives, and it is quite simply the fastest server I've ever dealt with.

They look like Solid State technology to me.
http://fusionio.com/products/

It's not a hard drive without platters !
http://fusionio.com/products/iodrive/

They're not SSD nor are they traditional harddrives.

Update: I am sold....ordering an extreme 320 GB or a pair of 80s to see if I can make muh baby scream still pondering which...yeah the 5.12 TB Octal is $100,000 so I probably will just pass right over that :)

I'm getting a 320 for that wood case computer I'm building, but yeah, that Octal is basically just for large businesses, and I don't many people who are using them currently.

The ioDrive is a revolutionary new solid state technology that dramatically increases bandwidth and application performance, reduces latency, and simplifies your IT infrastructure, all while slashing capital and operating costs.

>> Seems like a new type of SS storage.

The ioDrive is a revolutionary new solid state technology that dramatically increases bandwidth and application performance, reduces latency, and simplifies your IT infrastructure, all while slashing capital and operating costs.

>> Seems like a new type of SS storage.
They are different from SSD's, though they utilize the same method of storing information.

You can choose to argue, or you could go look up information on the differences. I highly suggest the later.

If you purchase the "premium" models from Seagate, WD, or Hitachi, you should be fine. I have a mini-itx machine that has been running a Hitachi since 20o6. It has never skipped a beat. I believe all of the major brands have had issues at one time or another. The premium models tend to have a 4 or 5 year warranty. For something critical, I would start thinking about preemptive replacement at about one half of the warranty. Then use the disk for something less critical like testing new flavors of Linux.

I was burned by Maxtors in the past. I think they were imported from Russia or somewhere but they were terrible. These days I pretty much buy Seagate.

Jeff

I have some really old WD and Maxtor drives that were great. The Maxtor eventually failed but 6 or so years of good service came out of it.

The 1TB WD green drives are great.

I had a few 2TB WD EARS drives fail in my WHS. I replaced them with Samsung's which are doing well.

The moral I guess is to go cheap and make it up with raid and a REAL backup solution.

In my experience Western Digital makes the best and worst drives. When one hears the phrase "HardDrive installation", the first thing that should come to his/her mind is BACKUP. They all fail.

Yeah they're pretty amazing. My hosts SQL server is built with FusionIO drives, and it is quite simply the fastest server I've ever dealt with.

http://fusionio.com/products/iodrive/

They're not SSD nor are they traditional harddrives.

I'm getting a 320 for that wood case computer I'm building, but yeah, that Octal is basically just for large businesses, and I don't many people who are using them currently.

So the US military apparently bought 20 of these Octals for a project. I wonder what this project is ;). Debriefing please. :)
Ohh ok they are just preparing for my next birthday...damn who woke me up.

Hey Forsaken ...what are you using for a wood case...if you have told me before I am sorry my memory is shot like 00 buck. I am actually building a (I don't know what to call this kind of) case out of wood integrated with my homemade computer desk (which got integrated into the wall) with a couple of hundred of cubic ft per minute of scrubbed air pumping through it. I think mixing the natural medium of wood with technology is just fantastic and is as much abstract art as it is a functional piece of technology so I am naturally interested at what you are doing over there on your side of the rock:)

Back to hard drives...
The moral I guess is to go cheap and make it up with raid and a REAL backup solution.

I agree with the last part of this...100% If you care about anything you try remember it. Imaging you could never forget anything because even if you had amnesia you could be tethered to a machine to reload your memory in under an hour.

In essence that is what cloning an HDD is and for anyone looking for sound advice in this thread being it about reliable storage this is what you should take note of. Before you buy a new HDD to add space make sure you buy one for every drive you have on your computer (with valued info) and back them up. They have one button cloning utilities ,one of my hdd docks came with software that works just fine though I reboot to a hdd utility outside of my operating system as it seems to be TONS faster.

People always say money this and money that but within reason you cannot put a price on memory. And if you are ready to add a hard drive you should worry about backups before adding more space.

Our opinions differ here. Your hdds are like the tires on your car...your car will run without them..but it won't go anywhere. If you buy used or low rated tires you get less miles out of them...it is as simple as that. A new hdd is like a second set of rims for your car all nice and chrome with some tires sitting in your garage...problem is when one of the tires your using fails you need to rely on a spare and your stranded in the middle of the road.

Going cheap means replacing the thing twice as often which means your spending more if they are not at least less than half the cost of the more expensive. This also does not account for the time you have to take opening up your rig and swapping parts and trying to recover data when they suddenly fail and even if your lucky enough to catch a drive about to fold you still have to transfer all of its data out , so doing it @shorter intervals is not a good look.

Best to buy the best you can within your means if you value your data. Always keep your case clean and if you don't have carbon scrubbers DO NOT SMOKE NEAR YOUR COMPUTER or it will take it's revenge on you.

How much is the ioEXTREME?

I clicked on the buy link and it opened a live chat window...
xhghgdghgh.webp

Would this be what you were groping for Mister Brogan?
They are going to be calling me in a few days so I will get a definitive answer when I do. ( I was told though I don't remember if he was talking about the extreme or not) , you can get two 80GB extremes for a nice raid for under $2000

And lookie here
lol nice.webp

This is why he is getting my sale when he calls me back within the next couple of days. I may not get one this week ... but I will within the next few weeks for sure under the requirements that this sales associate gets the sale and subsequent cookies.

This is a line of components that is at the highest end of what a normal consumer can get and to make a sound decision as to which one/ones to grab I will need to pour over specs. Also I don't want to get one monster if it is super overkill as my logic is if these perform to the level that I am understanding that they do, I would opt for a lower model of the smallest size (80GB) and throw a pair in raid for my OS in all of my worthy rigs as well as a few down the road (after some serious testing :-) ) for my home secondary network's media server.

Anyone with sound advice on this?

So the US military apparently bought 20 of these Octals for a project. I wonder what this project is ;). Debriefing please. :)
Ohh ok they are just preparing for my next birthday...damn who woke me up.

Hey Forsaken ...what are you using for a wood case...if you have told me before I am sorry my memory is shot like 00 buck. I am actually building a (I don't know what to call this kind of) case out of wood integrated with my homemade computer desk (which got integrated into the wall) with a couple of hundred of cubic ft per minute of scrubbed air pumping through it. I think mixing the natural medium of wood with technology is just fantastic and is as much abstract art as it is a functional piece of technology so I am naturally interested at what you are doing over there on your side of the rock:)
Probably using tiger maple, as that is what I had planned for my home office when I move. You can get some details here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/what-are-your-system-specs.1603/page-10#post-183051

Top Bottom