Best mechanism to ban users and permanently delete their posts?

PaulaG

Since moving to XF our site is being slammed by spammers. I have Stop Forum Spam and Project Honey Pot options turned on. I had to turn off the automated ReCAPTHA options because the spammers broke through those with no problem. I reverted to domain specific challenge questions to slow them down but they are still getting in (though less often), creating accounts and posting garbage.

Given that this is apparently the reality of running a forum now, what is the best mechanism to ban these spammers and permanently delete their posts when we spot one?

There seems to be a number of mechanisms using moderator functions but I haven't found one that just does it all at once. What I end up doing to make sure they are killed is first permanently deleting each post, and then going into ACP to change their user Group to Banned. This is a lot of work. I'd just like to blow the spammer and all their posts away in one click. I'd also like to have this spammer was reported to the anti-spam services when I ban them.

Another point, with VB I could see the spam reject logs but with XF there doesn't seem be any similar logging so I can't even tell if the blockers are working. Am I just not looking in the right place to view the reject logs?

Since moving to XF our site is being slammed by spammers. I have Stop Forum Spam and Project Honey Pot options turned on. I had to turn off the automated ReCAPTHA options because the spammers broke through those with no problem. I reverted to domain specific challenge questions to slow them down but they are still getting in (though less often), creating accounts and posting garbage.

Given that this is apparently the reality of running a forum now, what is the best mechanism to ban these spammers and permanently delete their posts when we spot one?

There seems to be a number of mechanisms using moderator functions but I haven't found one that just does it all at once. What I end up doing to make sure they are killed is first permanently deleting each post, and then going into ACP to change their user Group to Banned. This is a lot of work. I'd just like to blow the spammer and all their posts away in one click. I'd also like to have this spammer was reported to the anti-spam services when I ban them.

Another point, with VB I could see the spam reject logs but with XF there doesn't seem be any similar logging so I can't even tell if the blockers are working. Am I just not looking in the right place to view the reject logs?

Are you still getting hit by spammers? Are they from new registrations or old accounts? Link to site?

New registrations on our site. I'm assuming the spammers are using an automated process of some sort. I assume they've got a valid email address and are able to find the link in the confirmation email and automatically click on it, then post to the forum. Seems like a lot of fancy automation. I have StopForumSpam on.

Top Bottom