Best/Innovative ideas for trophies

Live Free

I'm moving my board to XF in a few days, and I'm trying to determine how to use the trophy system. My initial impressions are that it's gimmicky and unnecessary, maybe better suited for a specific demographic.

Right now I'm torn between disabling it entirely or coming up with a better usage. I'm also considering using it as a replacement for the reputation system.

How do you guys use the trophy point system in a way that adds real value to your site? Any innovative and fresh ideas?

Last edited:
I would suggest looking at feverbee.com, these guys really understand each type of user and what they need. Visitors -> Newcomers -> Regulars -> Seniors -> Volunteers. Each of these roles in the lifecycle of membership have different needs, and some of those needs are of recognition. I can see using the trophy system as a way to show the user that their contributions are valued! I would avoid Gamification, I.E. post based rewards, as that has short term rewards and long-term consequences. A better method is manual awards, i.e. best contribution to a thread every week, winner of a contest, volunteer of the month, etc.

Do you have anything on your site that your users might have missed? We use trophies as an indirect way to help users discover areas of the site they may have overlooked.

For example we have trophies for someone creating an ad in our ad system, reviewing a digital good in the marketplace, using a gravatar, giving best answers to threads, using our keyword tracker or back link tracker, trying premium membership, using 2-factor authentication, linking third party accounts, reporting posts that had an action taken, etc...

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/help/trophies

Do you have anything on your site that your users might have missed? We use trophies as an indirect way to help users discover areas of the site they may have overlooked.

For example we have trophies for someone creating an ad in our ad system, reviewing a digital good in the marketplace, using a gravatar, giving best answers to threads, using our keyword tracker or back link tracker, trying premium membership, using 2-factor authentication, linking third party accounts, reporting posts that had an action taken, etc...

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/help/trophies
These are very original trophies. Can you please share how you did some of them. :)

100 points for a DP tattoo and I can't believe someone got that!! Wow. :eek:
Oops sorry Live Free for getting out of topic.

Top Bottom