Best Hosting Site?

Scotland

Hi all. I'm about to start setting up my first forum and I've been told xenForo is the way to go.
While fairly tech literate (in SQL and Python) I have never set up and maintained a website or forum.

I haven't arranged anywhere to host the site yet, so I'm happy to take advice on the best place to go for this?
I expect that I will have around 500 members if I'm lucky, with no more than about 50 online at any one time.

Also, am I setting myself up for a very time consuming and costly hobby here?

Also check their opening pricing structure.
Ie a lot of web hosts have very cheap pricing if you join for a year.
But what is the normal price next year?
You should check before you join or you may be in for a shock next year.

Last edited:
Hi all. I'm about to start setting up my first forum and I've been told xenForo is the way to go.
While fairly tech literate (in SQL and Python) I have never set up and maintained a website or forum.

I haven't arranged anywhere to host the site yet, so I'm happy to take advice on the best place to go for this?
I expect that I will have around 500 members if I'm lucky, with no more than about 50 online at any one time.

Avoid hostinger.com . They claimed that they would always have unlimited on their Premium Shared hosting. Guess what? It no longer is anymore. They lied about it. Do not trust them.

The one I hear thrown around a lot here is knownhost. If you're looking to pay for hosting you might wait a bit because hosting providers may end up having their own Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals.

It's only as time-consuming and costly as you make it. The actual setup of Xenforo isn't hard/time-consuming. As far as the cost, the only cost that you will definitely have is the hosting and Xenforo purchase. With only 500 members you don't need a super-expensive hosting plan. Having said that, it can get more costly if you want to purchase additional add-ons and styles.

Also, if you think you have a hosting provider that you want to use I would ask people what they think on these forums prior to purchasing it. It's possible that people will have had experience with said provider that could be beneficial to your decision on who to go with.

sup man, like your avatar, but I'm the real one :D

Hi so check this out. I've been all over on this. So first, depends on your budget. I can tell you that running your own dedicated server or cloud instance is the way to go.

So for a dedicated server, you can get a server for 35ish to 80ish euro per month with a 1GIG connection and between 64gb of 128gb of ram, with at least a 512gb ssd drive. https://hetzner.com

With hetzner, you can get the AX61 and it's an AMD 12core/24thread, 128gb ram, 4tb NVME of space and it runs 80ish euro a month and love it! I run proxmox on it and have a wiki i built for it - https://plexguide.com/wiki/proxmox/ - My website is running on this server along with other instances, windows server, some linux boxes and etc. I use plesk, $15 a month. Install an ubuntu server instance, install plesk, login and bam, good to go. Use cloudflare and your set. This would run around $95ish a month.

1589434799878.png

Now if you want there 6700k processor with 64gb of ram with 2 x 512gb nvme drives, you can merge them and make them a 1024gb merged drive or have one as a backup. Use proxmox. Now I recommend plesk still because you can link your google drive and it will backup your entire website whenever you want! And that would run about 35ish euro per month with plesk being $15.

Now if you wanna start cheap, you can goto hetzner.cloud - get a cloud instance that has like 4 processor and 8gb of ram and about 80 - 160gb of space. Turn on daily snapshots and your good to go. Dedicated IP. Just pick ubuntu, install plesk, upload your software via ftp and your good to go. I know it works because before i went to a dedicated, I had 13000 members, with about 20-30 at a time with about 200 visitors and worked fine. You get a 1GIG connection with 20TB of bandwidth! This route runs about 10-15 euro a month with plesk $15 a month.

Trust me, my site runs using servers and we found hetzner and wholesaleinternet to be the best. Why both give you unlimited bandwidth (wholesale is 100TB a month) and no worries. But ya, use this guide for proxmox if you need to - https://plexguide.com/wiki/proxmox/

Good luck!

AND ... CPANEL is stupid for it's cost. Don't go with it! Unless your doing some major reselling!

PLESK LOGINS, yes easy

1589434521011.png

Simple!!!!
1589434638395.png

Odd TidBits

• On this server, xenforo with plesk runs about 1.5% processing power with the AMD 3900.
  • When sending mass message, the cpu spikes to about 25% of (12core,24threads) for the AMD 3900 and RAM increases.
  • When running tons of jobs and messages, it can use about 8-16gb of RAM.
  • This is all on NVME drives.

Last edited:
Gforce, don't you think thats a bit of an overkill for what Scotland wants.
I have 1000 members, 500 active and upto 80 on line at a time
I have a basic Cloud server plan and its fine.

Gforce, don't you think thats a bit of an overkill for what Scotland wants.
I have 1000 members, 500 active and upto 80 on line at a time
I have a basic Cloud server plan and its fine.

That's why he goes with the hetzner cloud instance which is only 8-10 euro a month. Be part is, you are your own host... basically not stuck dealing with being unable to control your configs, playing games with the host, and etc. Also the 35 euro dedicated server is a good deal because he can make snap shots and etc, but he indirectly owns the hardware and would have 1tb nvme of space. I've seen people spend stupid money on a host or one that rips them off. Worst, you are trusting them with your DB and etc. If they go under, what you got goes under with em.

The point of the big server with proxmox is you can do other things with it. Coding, runs vms, analytics, remote machines and etc, which is still cheap. My site can use the 24 processors as with other instances so it's all shared. For me, it's just awesome :D

Thanks for all the recommendations guys! I've been out of the office so I missed this thread until just now :) @Scotland let us know if we can be of any service!
Hello Jonathan,
@JonathanW , I just joined this forum and about to send you a private messages, but it looks like I can't do it yet, maybe because I just join.
Would you be able to try to contact me via PM so we can discuss more about hosting solution from KnownHost for my forum application?
Thanks so much

Xenforo is a time-consuming hobby. Before you do anything, consider building a strategy to monetize your forum. Better, close on a contract that covers all of your startup expenses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom