Best Free Option Until Xenforo

Deriel

Hi all!

I'm a very proud and happy XenForo user and owner. I'm planning to start a new community (a portuguese forum about genealogy) but do not have the money to buy a license right now. I think I'll need some 6 months to start monetize the community and Brazilian Real was one of the most devalued currency in 2020 (it lost about 30% value).

My question may be a tricky one (and maybe I'm broking some rule 😬) asking it, but right now what are the best free forum available plus the one that's easily imported into XF? SMF, phpBB, MyBB, FLuxBB? I have a dedicated hosting with MariaDB 10 and php 7.4

I thought in asking in one of dedicated admin forums outside, but I would like opininos from XF owners.

These are the free forum importers available:
  • phpBB 3.2
  • SMF 2.0
  • MyBB 1.8
Choose the one which fits your needs best.

Thanks Brogan!

I'm kinda stuck right now. MyBB 1.8 and SMF 2.0 aren't php 7.4 compatible. phpBB 3.3.* is, but no importer yet 🤔

The phpBB importer will most likely be compatible with 3.3 by the time you get around to converting.

I have always liked Php and mybb, mybb i feel like development has slowed down so much I feel like its not a reliable source anymore. Phpbb with a few mods would get my vote.

I have always liked Php and mybb, mybb i feel like development has slowed down so much I feel like its not a reliable source anymore. Phpbb with a few mods would get my vote.

I would keep the number of mods to an absolute minimum if you are planning on a future conversion.

Top Bottom