Best chat software for your XF forum

Glockie

Hello all,
I purchased Arrowchat in November, but now am having issues with speeds and quite a few bugs.
I am wondering if anyone's used cometchat and how they found it? It seems to be excellent.. but the reviews..
Don't sit well with me.

Has anyone found a good product, similar to Arrowchat, which has chat and video capability..
Preferably not flash, so iOS compatible.
I am considering CometChat as the site, and demo's look amazing, I must say..

I consider that chats have a negative effect on posting to the forums.
Used like a tool to have a fluid communication with admins or close friends (few people) is fine.
But available to everyone, imo is not a good idea.

I consider that chats have a negative effect on posting to the forums.
Used like a tool to have a fluid communication with admins or close friends (few people) is fine.
But available to everyone, imo is not a good idea.

I agree, however as a previous forum owner it does have a negative effect - but in our case now, it is an absolutely essential part of our systems/features.
A must have.

Sometimes chats have a positive effect in that it limits the one on one flame wars. Sure, they still happen, but a lot of it moves to the chatroom and keeps it off the forums.

Does anyone still use IRC for forum chat?

Yes, we have a couple of IRC chatrooms associated with our forums and currently use Mibbit integrated with the forums for user access. Most regular chatters use a dedicated IRC client though.

I would love a chat system which was easier to develop against with modern APIs and such - but alas, nothing exists which is suitable for anything outside the corporate world (usually involves a per-user charge, which makes it unsuitable for public forums).

So for now, we're happy enough with IRC.

Hey, I have ArrowChat as well, or at least just integrated it. They are coming out with an update now that will "reduce mySQL load by 99.8%". So hopefully that may fix your problem. I am letting everyone use it for now just to test the waters with it (so if you want to see it in action). They are also coming out with group permissions, so I am going to only allow users who are "active" to use the chat system.

Back on topic, I would wait and see if 1.8.3 fixes those speed issues, and bugs. Then, if not, try moving on.

And I have some non-swampy land in Florida for sale, interested ?

99.8% is alot.

Claims like that are red flags for me.

You can read about it here if you don't believe me. As for it being a red flag, well Facebook integration stopped, and that took a major chunk on the software. IDK what it really will do, but yeah...

Top Bottom