Been using Zetaboards + Invisionfree for 6-7 years. Need a change.

Knox1218

Truly unsure as to whether or not to go with IPB or Xenforo. I was reading this thread about how he wanted to figure out which to change to from vBulletin, but honestly his needs are completely different from mine. I'm just a teenage college student who runs a forum for fun, and I have some extra money. It's not my profession or my life and it doesn't pay my bills like it does for the guy in the link.

Not entirely sure which to choose. Any advice could be cool.

One of the reasons I picked xF is that it relies much more on CSS3 features than images. For example simple things such as rounded corners are pure CSS, not images. The buttons are simple css buttons, not images. All in all, if you are more inclined to tweak through CSS and HTML than images, xF is the better choice. Never dealt with IPB myself, TBH xF has been the only commercial solution I considered for the reasons above.

Is this to say I can't use images for the CSS and theme design? Because that's what I am good at specifically.

Also, I'm looking for a currency system in the free mods. Something editable. Does something like that exist?

Well, if you do images and icons as well, there is basically no change in how the different systems style, though xenforo relies more on modern standards than other solutions, to the best of my knowledge. There are a few credits systems available in the resource manager, but I am not sure what you mean by editable. I can think of two on the top of my head, and I think both are free. There is however a lack of things these credits can be used on, for the most part they are just accumulated.

Can the trophies system work something like this? (Ignore the text on the right please. Was used as a request guideline to build the code for my current forum from scratch for our old software)

adad.png

I don't believe I have seen one. You can award trophies to specific users (although, that would grow a lot for trophies). I believe I have seen an awards add-on at some point as well.

Top Bottom