XF 2.2 Banned users privileges

MediaFolSupport

I found that the xenforo ban is very different from the vbulletin ban. a banned user cannot interact in any way, not even see the nodes. must open an incognito window to see and read the forum. I'm wondering, is there a way to ban users but at least allow them to "see" the nodes and threads? excluding any paid add-ons. I've already interacted with groups and created a "banned" group to customize the profile of a banned user. but I noticed that the privileges of that group do not override those of the ban.

I think the best thing is to not ban them in that case, but to give them a secondary group that restricts them in a way you want. And can be done either manually or via warning point system.

I think it would be very hard to find a good reason to allow banned members to view and read the forum. IMO it would only encourage them to rejoin under an alias. Yes some will always do that anyway.

OK, It's a solution I've been thinking about, but this would mean that every time, you have to switch groups by editing the user's profile. it is a very long and cumbersome process in our case. We have a lot of traffic and we do a lot of temporary bans every day. I also tried assigning the subgroup with User Warnings rules, but unfortunately I have other groups with rules that conflict and are not overwritten. So with the "banned" group I can't really deny writing because there will always be another group that will allow it.

First off, I will put on my "heartless *******" sysadmin hat and suggest that we have no obligation to help people who broke our rules badly enough to get banned.

That said, why can't they just sign out, at which point they come under Unregistered/Guest privileges (assuming you have not blocked their IP)? That's how I handle it. Or do you not give guests read access to the nodes in question? The few forums that I have hidden from guests are, to be frank, ones I don't want banned users seeing either.

you right.
Our ban are not perma ban, are just a suspension. We cannot ban a user for some dirty words... but if he continue to use dirty words, we try to stop him with a suspension. Not a ban.
In vbulletin the ban works like suspension or, anyway, are very customizable.

yes they can use an ingognite windows of the web browser and turn back to site to read. but is not so simple for all users.

They don't need to use incognito. Just tap/click their avatar to get the user menu and then tap/click sign out. Now they are guests until the ban lifts and they can sign back in.
Nope. i try that. They are banned, so when they click on their avatar the message you are banned come on, and the cannot perform a sign-out.

Ok, using never the rules are overwrited. thanks.
But... now i trying to find where that user can see his warning. Now he see ha custo style, the style i give to the group "banned" but he cannot see any advise or the ending of his warning.

Ok, using never the rules are overwrited. thanks.
But... now i trying to find where that user can see his warning. Now he see ha custo style, the style i give to the group "banned" but he cannot see any advise or the ending of his warning.
There’s an addon.

Top Bottom