Lack of interest Ban registrations from gTLDs and/or whitelist email domains

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

JackieChun

Given the huge list of new gTLDs that's only continuing to expand, forum admins should be able to make pre-emptive strikes against spammers who use cheap, new gTLD registrations exclusively for spam.

I am yet to see any non-spam registration from .pw, .ws., .host, .online, .pizza etc. We should be able to ban all that weird crap without wasting time banning individual domains or gTLDs.

Separate but related to this issue, we should also be able to ban registrations from ALL emails except a number of whitelisted domains. On certain forums, it would make sense to whitelist Gmail, .edu, and maybe a few other providers and ban everything else.

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
we should also be able to ban registrations from ALL emails except a number of whitelisted domains

My free addon does that,

Given the huge list of new gTLDs that's only continuing to expand, forum admins should be able to make pre-emptive strikes against spammers who use cheap, new gTLD registrations exclusively for spam.

I am yet to see any non-spam registration from .pw, .ws., .host, .online, .pizza etc. We should be able to ban all that weird crap without wasting time banning individual domains or gTLDs.
You can already do this (blacklist) using the ban emails feature in core XF 2.2.x.

AdminCP >> Users >> User discipline >> Banned emails

If you prefer the whitelist approach, there's the addon by @Ozzy47 he posted above.

Technically yes, but if I only wanted the top email providers, I'd have to add tens of thousands of domains that way.
Edited my post above while you were posting.

For the forums I admin, there really aren't tens of thousands and you can use wildcards. I didn't add them all at once, either, but gradually 1 or 2 or 3 at a time as they showed up. And once you have a list, you can of course export it and import it to other forums.

I tried your addon, @Ozzy47, and I'm not knocking it at all, but for the way I manage the forums in my case it turned out to be less work to use the built-in XF feature. That isn't necessarily going to be true for other admins, of course.

I tried your addon, @Ozzy47, and I'm not knocking it at all, but for the way I manage the forums in my case it turned out to be less work to use the built-in XF feature. That isn't necessarily going to be true for other admins, of course.

Yup, different strokes for different folks. :)

Top Bottom