• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Ban Quick Email Providers From Your Forum. (Prevent Spam)

Kaiser

Spammers love to use email providers that are 100% registration free, and dosent require any personal information to use. It gives them a very quick and easy way to register on your forum, and if you have email activation on, they can quickly activate their accounts using the quick email providers.

All they do is go to the email provider's website and choose a quick name they want to use for their email and enter it, and then they can get the emails from websites they register to very quickly and then activate them, which helps them to spam forums very easily as it is a quick process. You can prevent spam like this by blocking those email providers from your boards, so people cant use these emails during registration on your forums, which is a great way to prevent unwanted spam. There are many ways to prevent spam, but this is just one out of the thousands of ways.

Some examples of quick email providers would be: (There alot more, if you know them just ban them the same way as in this article)

http://www.mailinator.com
http://www.yopmail.com
http://www.spam.la
http://www.10minutemail.com

In order to ban them you would go to the ACP in whatever forum software you are using, and where the place is to ban emails you would enter:

@mailinator.com (if it dosent work try with *@mailinator.com)
@yopmail.com (if it dosent work try with *@yopmail.com)
@spam.la (if it dosent work try with *@spam.la)
@pjjkp.com (if it dosent work try with *@pjjkp.com)
@prtnx.com (if it dosent work try with *@prtnx.com)

Since AdminBB uses XenForo we will show you how to ban those email providers in the XenForo forum ACP with more detail.

Go to: ACP -> Users -> Banned Emails -> Email to Ban:
Then you would enter the following emails:

@mailinator.com
@yopmail.com
@spam.la
@pjjkp.com
@prtnx.com

AdminBB was recently hit by spam during which they used these quick email providers to register and activate their account. So I made this to help other Admins to prevent and give the spammers a harder time. There will always be spam no matter what but you can always take steps to prevent it from happening. So I hope this helps other Admins.

Source: http://adminbb.org/threads/ban-quick-email-providers-from-your-forum-prevent-spam.1051/#post-9382

You forgot @gmail.com, @hotmail.com, and @yahoo.com. You don't exactly need a thumbprint and an FBI background check to get those.

Be careful, if you go down the "blocking email domains" rabbit hole you might bump into some real kooks who spend all day every day obsessing over forum spam and Bob Brisco. <shudder>

You forgot @gmail.com, @hotmail.com, and @yahoo.com. You don't exactly need a thumbprint and an FBI background check to get those.

Be careful, if you go down the "blocking email domains" rabbit hole you might bump into some real kooks who spend all day every day obsessing over forum spam and Bob Brisco. <shudder>

Making a troll/spammer spend another 8 minutes everytime they wanna register on my forum is perfect for my needs, same rule applies if you register on my forum with an email that you lose when you close the page, you can also spend 8 minutes getting one that doesn't - gmail or hotmail or yahoo.

Registration on a forum from one of these obvious 1-minute spam providers does not factor into my community. I don't see why they even should. Lost your password? How do I know it's your account? too bad sucker, get a real email. I pity these foo's.

You're missing the point here.

Making a troll/spammer spend another 8 minutes everytime they wanna register on my forum is perfect for my needs... You're missing the point here.
One of us is missing the point, yes. A very small percentage of forum or blog spammers are human. Most are bots. It doesn't take them 8 minutes to do anything. And the human spam farms - those poor *******s do dozens of targets at a time and have thousands of pre-registered email accounts (also created by bots) at their disposal. Same goes for IP addresses.

Banning certain email domains wastes your time, not theirs. Just because you notice a certain email domain a lot does not mean blocking it will stop all those registrations. Think about it. Is a spammer, human or bot, just going to give up and walk away because one email doesn't work? Not bloody likely, mate.

The same thing applies to trolls. If anything, a determined troll is even harder to stop. That's why things like coventry and "discouraged user" were created.

If you havent realized this is just quick disposable emails, ones you dont have to register for.. on gmail, yahoo, aol, hotmail those are different, you do have to register. Anyways I'll quote
There are many ways to prevent spam, but this is just one out of the thousands of ways.

As I said in the article I was recently hit by spam, and the spammer used these emails.

Top Bottom