background highlight for links [Deleted]

Adam Howard

TheVisitors submitted a new resource:

background highlight for links (version 1) - Add a soft glow to your links

I've been asked this 6x and it really is very simple (surprised more people don't know this).

Simply add this to EXTRA

Code:
a:hover {
text-decoration: none;
color: #06A3D0;
text-shadow: #C6C6C6 0px 2px 2px;
}

Of course you can change colors as you see fit.
You can also change the size, but I perosnally wouldn't.

Note: Internet Explorer, seems to completely ignore this and so for your IE users, they'll see everything like they normally would had you not added...

Read more about this resource...

Perhaps try this for the IE browsers?
Code:
filter: dropshadow(color=#C6C6C6, offx=0, offy=2);

Yes, but no.

Makes the tabs in IE look ugly (end up having 3 colors all mixed).
Sounds like you found a great reason to convince your visitors to wake up to 2012 and use Chrome or another free browser they can easily install alongside the icon of E with dust on it that yet again has proven to simply be horrible.

IE, is always the one browser that things don't look right in, yet do in Opera, Safari, Chrome and FireFox. I'm always getting headaches working with CSS trying to get things looking OK in IE the same as the rest. I wish MS would just burn the thing from Windows and the face of the Web!

Problem is, you know most web newbies will use IE out the Windows box, so you have no option but to work with it.

Sounds like you found a great reason to convince your visitors to wake up to 2012 and use Chrome or another free browser they can easily install alongside the icon of E with dust on it that yet again has proven to simply be horrible.
IE is actually almost last on my site

1) Firefox
2) Chrome
3) Safari
4) Opera
5) Android Browser
6) IE with Chrome Frame
7) Internet Explorer
8) Mozilla Compatible Agent
9) Opera Mini
10) Google Analytics

I officially do not support IE and only make a "best effort" to do so.

But for this public resource.... It would be nice to figure out some kind of resolve.

IE is actually almost last on my site

1) Firefox
2) Chrome
3) Safari
4) Opera
5) Android Browser
6) IE with Chrome Frame
7) Internet Explorer
8) Mozilla Compatible Agent
9) Opera Mini
10) Google Analytics

I officially do not support IE and only make a "best effort" to do so.

But for this public resource.... It would be nice to figure out some kind of resolve.

Funnily enough I was reading for a fix with regards to text-shadow this morning when I was fixing my navigation selected text for IE but they seem to be dirty, somewhat redundant fixes which I myself won't be making. I'm a big fan of text-shadow and use it quite a bit on my site but not the horrible <insert anything above 1px> spreading.

A nice setting I find is the following I use frequently obviously reverse colouring depending on the background-color:

Code:
    text-shadow: 0 0 0 transparent, 1px 1px 0 #ffffff;
    color: #3c3c3c;

Top Bottom