"back" button....is it a sin or do I just need to retrain myself on....

Teddy Scott

site navigation... It never fails... I always use my "back button" to find something I was reading prior. But on a forum, you should not really have to use it at all. My opinion is that you should try to use the navigation links, hyperlinks, and buttons to get back where you started.
Anyone else find themselves doing this or relying more on the browser back and forward buttons to navigate site forums?
;)

I remember at adminextra I created a simple feature and introduced an "index" button in the postbit next to the edit, reply and quote buttons where on clicking it would bring you back to the forum index because i found that it was the page I reverted to after I read content.

Many people on the site found this useful and added it to their own sites because quite a few people do revert back.

I sometimes find it more comfortable to use the Back button (or backspace) to go back to pages I was on previously. I like Shelley's idea, though. Placement is a big deal. If I only have to stretch my finger to hit the backspace button as opposed to moving my arm to scroll all the way down to the breadcrumbs, I'll likely just use the backspace button. But, if there is an easily accessible link/button next to where I currently am on the page, then I'll probably use that. Like electricity, I like to choose the path of least resistance. I need that extra energy to raise my wine glass, afterall ;)

Or a "back to the top of the page" button/link for threads that are really long.

Yes, one can hit the "Home" key on the keyboard but when you are kicked back in a chair, or got a kid on a shoulder, or eating some chow, etc it's much easier to click than lean forward ;)

I know i'm not the only one.. that was always the first complaint whenever updating my site, 4K members crying where's the "top" button!

Or a "back to the top of the page" button/link for threads that are really long.

Yes, one can hit the "Home" key on the keyboard but when you are kicked back in a chair, or got a kid on a shoulder, or eating some chow, etc it's much easier to click than lean forward ;)

I know i'm not the only one.. that was always the first complaint whenever updating my site, 4K members crying where's the "top" button!
Yeah, I guess that would work for some...me, I hate those...that means I have to click twice...way too much work for this guy :D

My mouse has back, forwards, page up and page down buttons.
I've worn the paint off the back button. :)
Failing that, I just click somewhere inbetween the right hand side slider bar and the top of the page (EDIT: in lieu of a "Top" button).

for instance.. I have read all the read posts... I am at the bottom and I want to navigate to the page that i was at (whatever that was) before I clicked to get here. I dare not click on that triangle on lower left corner of the forum ( i looked) and there are at first glance 15 links or more to decide from. Other than hitting the "back" button on the browser what would be the normal course of action for you guys?
I would like to see a button next to a reply button myself... or anything at the bottom letting me know I can click safely on and go back to previous page. I know. Its hard to teach an ol dog new tricks. Or make him unlearn the bad ones.

Top Bottom