AWS / CloudFront

zagman76

Has anyone successfully set up XF2 with CloudFront? I'm thinking about doing this to speed up the severe TTFB lag I've been experiencing since upgrading to XF2, and was looking for some CF config recommendations from anyone who has done it. Thanks!

Hi,

A quick search of your posts indicate that the issue may lie with the server configuration eg http and php processing, as well as caches (are the requisite cache add-ons installed and enabled?).

TTFB of more than 10 seconds is obviously really bad. My configuration on AWS running nginx/php-fpm has a TTFB of 0.476s on first view.

Hi,

A quick search of your posts indicate that the issue may lie with the server configuration eg http and php processing, as well as caches (are the requisite cache add-ons installed and enabled?).

TTFB of more than 10 seconds is obviously really bad. My configuration on AWS running nginx/php-fpm has a TTFB of 0.476s on first view.

My TTFB’s have been between 2-15 seconds (and a few in the 30-45 second range). I finally got caching working (Redis), and that’s helped a bunch.

What I see happening now, is a click (node/forum/thread/etc.), then a really, really long delay, then the page explodes to life. Developer panel shows all things coming in at less than .5s, except TTFB.

What I am baffled about, is that it only started happening with the XF2 upgrade last week. Before then, it was mostly smooth sailing.

I’ve read a bunch of guides on how to fine-tune php/php-fpm/nginx, and it would seem that they are tuned nicely.

When I look at the ELB metrics, it shows back-end latency in the 2-15 second range, which is consistent with what I’m seeing when loading the page in the browser.

On one hand throwing more hardware (i.e.: CloudFront) at the problem is more of a temporary fix, until I can figure out why the problem exists in the first place.

I finally got caching working (Redis), and that’s helped a bunch.

Are you by any chance using Xon's Redis Cache add-on for Xenforo 2? I don't like to overload my installation with add-ons that aren't for big things so I never installed it. And if so, how is it working out for you? My site is small at the moment but it would be nice to decrease page load time

Are you by any chance using Xon's Redis Cache add-on for Xenforo 2? I don't like to overload my installation with add-ons that aren't for big things so I never installed it. And if so, how is it working out for you? My site is small at the moment but it would be nice to decrease page load time

No - I launched a redis cluster in AWS, and attached directly to it via the src/config.php file.

Top Bottom