1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Automatically Watch Thread

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by majesty95, Oct 12, 2013.

1. majesty95

majesty95 Active Member

Another XF site that I use has it set to have the thread automatically watched anytime the users replies, likes, etc. I thought I saw this option somewhere before but I cannot find it for the life of me now...

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It's in your account preferences.

3. majesty95

majesty95 Active Member

What I'm asking is, how do I set it in admin controls so that is the default? I know the user can set it themselves, but by default I want that box to be checked.

4. Andrej

Andrej Well-Known Member

Admin CP -> Options -> User Registration -> Default Registration Values -> Watch threads when creating or replying

Main Company and majesty95 like this.
  5. majesty95

majesty95 Active Member

Hmm. I have that checked but the box is not automatically checked when creating or replying like it is on here...

6. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

If you go into your profile and uncheck that option - that is what applies. The ACP setting is for new users.

majesty95 likes this.
  7. loplo

loplo Active Member

Is there a way that changes the default
    from ticked to unticked, while replying to a thread?

I've changed the option for the new members.

8. Brogan

In your account preferences.

9. loplo

loplo Active Member

I know that each member can alter the setting, but can't I do it globally, from the backend?

10. Brogan

It would require an SQL query to change all members.

loplo likes this.
  11. loplo

loplo Active Member

Is is public somewhere, or could you help me with that? I don't dare making experiments on my database without knowing what I'm doing.
    Thanks.

12. Brogan

You shouldn't really be changing existing member settings without their permission.
    I would be extremely annoyed if a site owner did that to my account.

13. loplo

loplo Active Member

The issue is, that most of them started to complain regarding the tons of mails they're receiving.
    For me it would be a much nicer move to be able to have the "Watch this thread... and receive email notifications" unticked by default. This way noone is automatically subscribed to a thread.
    If someone wants to follow a thread, discussion he can tick it, but by default should be unticked.

LE
    I've found this from @Jake Bunce, posted in 2011. Is this going to work on the latest database?

Code:
    UPDATE xf_user_option
    SET default_watch_state = '';

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  14. Brogan

Code:
    UPDATE xf_user_option SET default_watch_state = ''
    or

Code:
    UPDATE xf_user_option SET default_watch_state = 'watch_no_email'
    Depending on whether you want them to still watch or not.

Take a backup first.

15. loplo

loplo Active Member

Wired things happen.
    Did the query with the result "271 rows affected. (Query took 0.2835 sec)", but the "Watch this thread... and receive email notifications" is still ticked by default and in /account/alert-preferences is everything ticked too.
    Am I missing something?