Automatically optimise image attachments?

Does anyone know if Xenforo has a native function to automatically resize and optimise images?

My forum caters to a fairly non tech-savvy demographic, and they'll often try to upload extremely high res versions of photos that are 5MB+.

I've configured my forum to not allow attachments above 2MB... But I'd love it if there was a way to convert e.g. a high quality jpg to a png, and reduce the image dimensions.

Is there an add-on anyone can recommend?

Themehouse / Audentio seems to offer one (https://www.themehouse.com/xenforo/2/addons/image_optimizer) but only as part of a wider package that costs $1000 (!) / year.

Does anyone know if Xenforo has a native function to automatically resize and optimise images?

My forum caters to a fairly non tech-savvy demographic, and they'll often try to upload extremely high res versions of photos that are 5MB+.

I've configured my forum to not allow attachments above 2MB... But I'd love it if there was a way to convert e.g. a high quality jpg to a png, and reduce the image dimensions.

Is there an add-on anyone can recommend?

Themehouse / Audentio seems to offer one (https://www.themehouse.com/xenforo/2/addons/image_optimizer) but only as part of a wider package that costs $1000 (!) / year.

This one is actually potentially a better add-on for most use cases. The only time I have found that using it does not work, is when you have animated gif images as there is a large decrease in quality.

Hi - thank you for getting back to me, and sorry for the late reply.

I've had a quick look at that add-on... What I can't figure out is if it does optimisations 'on the fly'?

It seems to be good for retroactively optimising images and saving tons of space which is great... But what about for new uploads?

Hi - thank you for getting back to me, and sorry for the late reply.

I've had a quick look at that add-on... What I can't figure out is if it does optimisations 'on the fly'?

It seems to be good for retroactively optimising images and saving tons of space which is great... But what about for new uploads?
Don't remember if it's as they're uploaded, or if they're optimized in the queue.

Regardless, it is a very quick process so it doesn't make a huge difference.

Top Bottom