Audiophiles: Mr Speakers Mad Dog Alpha

I have a pair of Mad Dogs - I was lucky enough to win them in a competition. They're really really nice cans, although they're quite hard to drive (from a conventional mobile device or onboard PC audio, anyway) and terminate in a 1/4" jack, so they're not the easiest cans to use. I do want to get a proper DAC for them so I can take them to their full potential, though, because running them through a friend's rig made them sound incredibly nice.

I have a pair of Mad Dogs - I was lucky enough to win them in a competition. They're really really nice cans, although they're quite hard to drive (from a conventional mobile device or onboard PC audio, anyway) and terminate in a 1/4" jack, so they're not the easiest cans to use. I do want to get a proper DAC for them so I can take them to their full potential, though, because running them through a friend's rig made them sound incredibly nice.
If you're an audiophile you're not going to be expecting much from a mobile phone, and especially not form a system that doesn't have a dedicated enthusiast sound card.

For my cell phone I just use some Etymotic hf2's because they still get some decent sound and the mic is almost average.

Quick glance, saw "Speakers" and "Alpha" in the title, no avatar, in my extremely sleep deprived state, I came in here to report you for spam. Well, I'll be showing myself to bed.

I guess I should add my avatar back...

Maybe I should be telling you where you can watch Game Of Thrones online for free :D

If you're an audiophile you're not going to be expecting much from a mobile phone, and especially not form a system that doesn't have a dedicated enthusiast sound card.

For my cell phone I just use some Etymotic hf2's because they still get some decent sound and the mic is almost average.
I know this. ;) I am not a very rich audiophile - like I said, I was lucky enough to win my cans. I can't currently afford an audio rig that's suitable for audiophile-grade sound, so running them off of my onboard audio is the best I can do.

I wouldn't be using it without an AMP/DAC - that said, I'll be splitting it between work and home use, at work I have my FiiO E11.

I'm quite picky at what I use as well, good to see that I'm not the only one in such predicament

I know this. ;) I am not a very rich audiophile - like I said, I was lucky enough to win my cans. I can't currently afford an audio rig that's suitable for audiophile-grade sound, so running them off of my onboard audio is the best I can do.

For a quick and easy, but by no means the best, a FiiO E11 or E7 can fit the job.

I wouldn't be using it without an AMP/DAC - that said, I'll be splitting it between work and home use, at work I have my FiiO E11.

I'm quite picky at what I use as well, good to see that I'm not the only one in such predicament
I've used mine off of an E11 - the two work well together :)

If you're looking for a cheap and decent ortho headphone, look no further. For certain music they will be far better than anything else in the price range, while for other types of music they might not be the best option. I've not used them myself, but I've researched them heavily and was considering buying them on several occasions.

Personally I'm using a Beyerdynamic DT150 (like a DT770 but much more refined and balanced despite its huge bass capability) driven out of an O2 amp with a Fiio E17 acting as DAC. I don't think I could bring myself to change - tempting as the Fostex may be, it will be a downgrade in so many areas that it might as well be a sidegrade overall.

Also keep an eye on Audible Bond - there is a very trustworthy guy from the UK manufacturing modded Fostex (his model goes by the name DBV#3 T20RP), though he's on hiatus for a while.

If you're looking for a cheap and decent ortho headphone, look no further. For certain music they will be far better than anything else in the price range, while for other types of music they might not be the best option. I've not used them myself, but I've researched them heavily and was considering buying them on several occasions.

Personally I'm using a Beyerdynamic DT150 (like a DT770 but much more refined and balanced despite its huge bass capability) driven out of an O2 amp with a Fiio E17 acting as DAC. I don't think I could bring myself to change - tempting as the Fostex may be, it will be a downgrade in so many areas that it might as well be a sidegrade overall.

Also keep an eye on Audible Bond - there is a very trustworthy guy from the UK manufacturing modded Fostex (his model goes by the name DBV#3 T20RP), though he's on hiatus for a while.

I was looking for anything that's better than a ok-ish set of phones for use at my computer. PS Audible Bond really needs to renew their domain :x

Top Bottom