XF 2.1 At least 1 post before being able to send private message?

Hristo Avramov

Can I achieve this somehow? There's one guy(bot) that registers a lot of new usernames and sends private message spam. If I am able to set private messages being able to be sent after 1 post on the forum he will lose the battle. Do you have advice?

Remove the permission to send PC for new members (Registered user group).

Promote members to a user group with the permission allowed after x posts.

About two years ago I set up a user group promotion to do exactly this. It works really well. Upon sign up, users cannot create new conversations (but can receive them). Within an hour of creating 1 forum post, the user group promotion adds the poster into a custom secondary user group that grants them the ability to create new conversations.

I'm basically echoing Ozzy47, but to spell it out further you'll want to do three things:
  1. For the default Registered user group, set the Start conversations permission to No.
    xenforo-2-1-user-group-permissions-conversations-registered.gif

2. Create a custom user group and set its Start conversations permission to Yes. I've named this group "Registered (Posted)" but you can call it whatever you like.
    xenforo-2-1-user-group-permissions-conversations-registered-posted.gif

3. Create a user group promotion that will add registered users to your new custom user group after they make 1 forum post. First, give the user promotion a name and choose the user group that you want promoted users to be added to.
    xenforo-2-1-user-group-promotion-add-eligible-users-to-secondary-user-group.gif

Then apply your desired promotion criteria, which in this case is 1 or more forum posts. N.B. there are a number of other criteria options not shown in this screenshot.
    xenforo-2-1-user-group-promotion-apply-to-users-with-at-least-1-forum-post.gif

This isn't complicated IMO, but I thought some screenshots might help you or other administrators who find this thread in the future. :)

You could repeat steps 1 and 2 if there are any other permission that you don't want enabled until after someone submits their first forum post. For example, with signatures I only allow extended formatting, images and links after 1+ forum posts.

Something like this shouldn't be handled by groups. it should be a setting.

Whole new groups for one tiny feature isn't ideal.

It might not be just one tiny feature, though. There could be other allowances that you only want to make available to your users after 1+ posts. Signatures, profile posts, or maybe uploading attachments, just to name a few. This and more could all be done with the one extra user group + a user group promotion. :)

It might not be just one tiny feature, though. There could be other allowances that you only want to make available to your users after 1+ posts. Signatures, profile posts, or maybe uploading attachments, just to name a few. This and more could all be done with the one extra user group + a user group promotion. :)
That's exactly what groups are for.

And doesn't apply to the OP's simple setting request.

Top Bottom