Articles 11 & 13 from the EU Copyright Directive

It takes the piss who quickly and how frequently content creators are geettings striked and claimed for discussing other content under the premise of fair use on commentary vids or podcasts.

The articles haven't even been implimented yet and it's already a massive problem with large corporations abusing their ability to claim content, it's going to get far worse. Ethan goes into a little detail about half way into the video about how the YouTube system works.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Currently, YouTube is working on analysis and plan of action for the following months:

So, what’s next?

We are completing an analysis to understand the implications of the EU Copyright Directive for all partners, including creators, artists, rights holders and users.

With an EU Directive, it is up to individual Member States to devise their own laws to implement the Directive, which will happen within the next two years.

YouTube’s Plan of Action

We will support the implementation of the EU Copyright Directive by working with Member States to advocate for the incorporation of fair licencing and liability frameworks that support creator expression and the digital economy. We will:

• Analyze and communicate the impact of the final EU Copyright Directive on all partners, including creators, users, artists, and publishers globally
  • Monitor each country’s implementation plans and timelines
  • Continue to work with the industry & rights holders to find a system where both platforms and rights holders collaborate, including participation in dialogue organized by the EU Commission
  • Provide updates directly to creators via this site. We also have additional resources such as YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki’s quarterly letter, direct emails, and @YTCreators

In the coming weeks, we will have completed our analysis, and will come back to the community with the details of how the final text will impact European creators, artists, and users.
Source https://www.youtube.com/intl/en-GB/saveyourinternet/

It takes the piss who quickly and how frequently content creators are geettings striked and claimed for discussing other content under the premise of fair use on commentary vids or podcasts.

The articles haven't even been implimented yet and it's already a massive problem with large corporations abusing their ability to claim content, it's going to get far worse. Ethan goes into a little detail about half way into the video about how the YouTube system works.

I completely agree it's going to get worse.

Currently, I have about 8 copyright claims on my channel, all of them without exception are for audio material which years ago was Royalty Free but later got registered to CD Baby. I haven't received any strikes, but I can no longer monetize those videos. So I subscribed to Epidemic Sound one of YouTube's audio partners and so far I haven't received copyright claims. I asked their support if they are going to be affected by Article 17 but they are not sure what's going to happen. Well, I'm content creator myself, but one thing I can't do is compose music, so I'll need partners like Epidemic Sound to do that for me.

As to fair use, I no longer believe in it, it's just far too risky.

Last edited:
Top Bottom