Are you planning to buy a new .app/.website/.SOMETHING domain?

Nope, waste of time and money imho.

A .com domain will always reign king, sure there will be some good domains (if they haven't already been pre-registered by squatters or have companies claim bullcrap copyright claims over them) but at the end of the day they'll still be gimmiks.

All I can say for sure is that they never should have allowed .zip as a TLD being that zip is an often used and very popular file extension.

O wow, never saw that.

Even if it doesn't mess with existing links ending in a .zip extension which it shouldn't ... I can see the abuse uses forming now.

"hey check out this file, it will patch up X models in this game"

"ohh cool whats the link"

"somerandom.zip" -> redirects to proniverse.com

I mean it is a stupid example but it demonstrates the point.

It creates the possibility of confusion.

I recently had to teach both my parents what file extensions were when explaining to them about why certain things didn't play here or there and what codecs are and all of that kind of stuff. Now that I have explained the importance of extensions and default programs for file extensions and how they work.. I can tell you right now with almost 100% certainty that if someone like my father comes across a web address that is 'anything.zip' he is going to think it is a file and act accordingly.

In closing I would like to say thanks to the internet for wasting my Sunday teaching someone about file extensions and how they work and then totally undermining everything I said by reusing an extension as a TLD for no reason other than someone wanted it and couldn't deal with someone getting it first.

I don't intend on registering any for use but I'll need to buy a few for a few clients who want to snatch them up before squatters so (unfortunately, this means spending silly amounts of money to secure them).

Even if it doesn't mess with existing links ending in a .zip extension which it shouldn't ... I can see the abuse uses forming now.

"hey check out this file, it will patch up X models in this game"

"ohh cool whats the link"

"somerandom.zip" -> redirects to proniverse.com

I mean it is a stupid example but it demonstrates the point.

It creates the possibility of confusion.

I recently had to teach both my parents what file extensions were when explaining to them about why certain things didn't play here or there and what codecs are and all of that kind of stuff. Now that I have explained the importance of extensions and default programs for file extensions and how they work.. I can tell you right now with almost 100% certainty that if someone like my father comes across a web address that is 'anything.zip' he is going to think it is a file and act accordingly.

In closing I would like to say thanks to the internet for wasting my Sunday teaching someone about file extensions and how they work and then totally undermining everything I said by reusing an extension as a TLD for no reason other than someone wanted it and couldn't deal with someone getting it first.
Haha, never knew they added a .zip. Epic fail.

I am a bit confused. Is the General Availability for domains like .gallery meaning if you buy one it's live now? Or is it all just pre-orders for now?

I am a bit confused. Is the General Availability for domains like .gallery meaning if you buy one it's live now? Or is it all just pre-orders for now?
Basically, Donuts, Inc. has applied for 307 gTLDs, around 100 have been granted thus far. Donuts are releasing around 5 per week for general availability. Unlike most registries, Donuts decide what domain names are 'premium' and charge hundreds of dollars on top of the normal registration fee.

So far you can register the following: .GURU, .CLOTHING, .SINGLES, .PHOTOGRAPHY, .BIKE, .HOLDINGS, .PLUMBING, ,VENTURES. .CAMERA, .EQUIPMENT, .ESTATE, .GALLERY, .GRAPHICS, .LIGHTING, .CONTRACTORS, .LAND, .TECHNOLOGY, .CONSTRUCTION, .DIRECTORY, .KITCHEN and .TODAY.

Basically, Donuts, Inc. has applied for 307 gTLDs, around 100 have been granted thus far. Donuts are releasing around 5 per week for general availability. Unlike most registries, Donuts decide what domain names are 'premium' and charge hundreds of dollars on top of the normal registration fee.

So far you can register the following: .GURU, .CLOTHING, .SINGLES, .PHOTOGRAPHY, .BIKE, .HOLDINGS, .PLUMBING, ,VENTURES. .CAMERA, .EQUIPMENT, .ESTATE, .GALLERY, .GRAPHICS, .LIGHTING, .CONTRACTORS, .LAND, .TECHNOLOGY, .CONSTRUCTION, .DIRECTORY, .KITCHEN and .TODAY.
I just bought a .gallery domain from Name.com but it appears to not be responding? Not sure if I own it but they are not live yet or if I messed something up.

Are these new domains like .gallery live?

I just bought a .gallery domain from Name.com but it appears to not be responding? Not sure if I own it but they are not live yet or if I messed something up.

Are these new domains like .gallery live?
What do you mean by "not responding"? Domain registration is never instant. It takes time for records to propagate.

What do you mean by "not responding"? Domain registration is never instant. It takes time for records to propagate.

Generally, when you buy a domain name from a registrar, you get a receipt letting you know you've got the domain.

The last 10+ domains I've purchased, have propogated within 4-6- hours.

I thought about it, but to be honest all the good ones will be gone already due to the generous landrush and pre-reg periods. So you've got not chance of getting something like ride.bike or sunny.travel for example.

I'd not really have any use for them. I've spent way too much collecting domains and then doing nothing with them. I've still got way too many. Owning a domain registrar makes it too easy to buy tons of domains! :P

Top Bottom