Are you a regular somewhere?

Kuma

Restaurant/Gas station/etc, a place where people know you / know you by name? That if you were to disappear they would miss you?

I tend to become a regular at places I frequent due to the time of day I am up. I go in often enough and am talkative to the staff. They know me, I know them. We talk about whats going on and how they're doing while I am there. It becomes weird when they're not there anymore. I would imagine it is the same for them when you happen to move on.

Do you guys have similar experiences?

Unfortunately not. Before I moved to Ohio 6 yrs ago, I was pretty popular at both church, and within my group of friends. If someone didn't hear from me within a couple of days or so, they were either on the phone or on my doorstep.

Since moving to Ohio, I've not socialized much, mostly because it was after moving here that my young son was diagnosed, and time has been spent with him/for him.
I know basically no one, except for his dad (my ex) and a couple of other people.

omg what a sob story! sorry....... :rolleyes:

I have that in a few places, but I don't think they'd exactly miss me if I didn't go for a week or two. :p

I actually go to the neighborhood Pei Wei and order the same thing a lot. It's nice to just show up, get asked "The usual?" and get my order out of the way without any of the extra dialogue. :p

Unfortunately not. Before I moved to Ohio 6 yrs ago, I was pretty popular at both church, and within my group of friends. If someone didn't hear from me within a couple of days or so, they were either on the phone or on my doorstep.

Since moving to Ohio, I've not socialized much, mostly because it was after moving here that my young son was diagnosed, and time has been spent with him/for him.
I know basically no one, except for his dad (my ex) and a couple of other people.

omg what a sob story! sorry....... :rolleyes:

Peggy, you have us. :D

Work? I'm pretty sure they would miss me :p

There's this cafe right down the street from me where I go every morning on the way to work. All the ladies know me, and I know them. It is nice walking in, being greeted and asked "The usual, Jay?" and having everything ready by the time I make it up to the counter. I've been invited to their weddings, birthdays, etc. I couldn't imagine walking in there one day and none of them being there.

Now that I think about it, I sort of take things like that for granted, I suppose. Some thank yous are in order Tuesday morning. :)

One of my neighbors owns a asian cuisine (He's Japanese, and his wife is Thai/Chinese, so they have a lot of different culture-fusion dishes, as well as a lot of different dishes from various cultures), who would probably miss me if I didn't order from them at least once a week right when their about to close (They just make it as they're about to close, and drop it off before they drive 4 houses down the street :D).

And probably a few places around my work, as well as my friends bakery.

after moving here that my young son was diagnosed.......

If I may sneak off topic for a moment - have you ever watched the show Parenthood?

And back on topic: I've moved around a lot and I don't cook much, so there are probably convenience store owners all over the place who wonder why the chicken-salad-sandwich lady stopped coming by. Or maybe I just flatter myself there.

I just realize it's a bit awkward sometimes when you bring someone with you to a place people there are familiar with you. I remember one time walking into a fast food place I used to eat at and they already knew what I wanted, and we knew each other on a semi-personal level.

I got a couple of "You come here that often?" looks from my friends. :oops:

That happens to me a lot, Onimua! Some of my aliases include:

- shrimp Pad Thai and peanut sauce on the side - no satay, just the peanut sauce
- coffee to go, throw in a few ice cubes
- cheese ravioli, but please leave off the tomato sauce

I'm a creature of habit in general - if all the convenience stores in the world got together and compared notes, it would be easy to track my movements over the years.

Top Bottom