Are there any Tapatalk alternatives?

CTXMedia

I'm conisdering removing Tapatalk from all of my forums and wondered if there are any alternatives?

Responsive is enabled but some members prefer the simpler/quicker view that Tapatalk offers and I wanted to know if there was something similar I could offer instead?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

The only one I know of is Forum Runner. It looks like it works in a similar way to Tapatalk but I don't know if it's any better.

One thing to consider if moving to another solution like Forum Runner is that members would then have to buy another app. Some may not be happy about this, especially if yours is then the only forum that uses it and the rest use Tapatalk. In which case, you may be just as well ditching Tapatalk and getting folk to use responsive on their phones, or sticking with Tapatalk and the wonderful changes they are making.

Tapatalk is by far the best of those types of offerings. I don't see a point in removing Tapatalk if you want to install something else similar to replace it.

Thanks - I didn't think there was much in the way of alternatives, but sometimes other site owners can point you towards apps you've never heard of or give you reviews of things you've stumbled upon, so it can be useful to ask.

I'll see how things go over at Tapatalk in the coming weeks.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

There's also Topify but there are not yet xenforo compatible. There is a thread on topify here already.

If you are looking for the same features, wouldn't it make more sense to use that? Or is there some additional features you are wanting?
I use the BYO feature they have, so far we have over 3k ios installs and around 1k on android. There has been a lot of errors lately with the last 4 updates they have done. Aside from that what I would really like to have is not having to constantly login - for instance, using our TMF Forum app it has a sidebar like facebook app and we can put in custom URL's, when we put in custom urls to our forum it doesnt keep the user logged in at all. So visiting the gallery, classifieds, showcase, blogs and video network (all it does is pull up in safari or in app browser (which doesnt keep the user logged in at all and they dont plan on offering that either).

We were a small forum that grown into a big board pretty fast, I would love to integrate our store and all forum features into a mobile app but have no idea where to start. So that just left me with using tapatalk's BYO app which we pay monthly for....

Well something that custom (all your custom features), you are probably just going to want to hire someone to build it from scratch for you. I doubt there's going to be an off the shelf system that will support your custom stuff.

I refuse to use tapatalk anymore because of their lack of security updates, nor do they even notify their users when they updated a huge threat, leaving hundreds if not thousands of forum owners in the dark and at risk.

Therefore, been looking for a decent alternative ever since.

I refuse to use tapatalk anymore because of their lack of security updates, nor do they even notify their users when they updated a huge threat, leaving hundreds if not thousands of forum owners in the dark and at risk.

Therefore, been looking for a decent alternative ever since.
Just use XenForo as it is with its responsive design, it works well on mobile devices. If you require push notifications then there's this:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/xen-pushover.3039/

Pushover rocks.. Can't wait to watch the project mature.. Already the things you can use it for (that require alerts) is pretty significant, but it's no mobile app. Simply a system for pushing your forum alerts to mobile devices. I believe currently a shortcoming is that it does not push alerts for incoming/outgoing private conversations.

Oh I do use the default xenforo in the browser. However some of my members refuse to use browser version of websites and would much prefer a native app.

I have the same issue, people enjoy Tapatalk while it harbors most of the site revenue for themselves, and then if you turn it off you get called selfish, lol.

I have the same issue, people enjoy Tapatalk while it harbors most of the site revenue for themselves, and then if you turn it off you get called selfish, lol.

That's alright with me, I built the site not Tapatalk. It's just one of the reasons why I'm making the switch from vB to XF. My site notices and ads both are removed with tapatalk and I used notices a lot to communicate with users about giveaways/contests and other happenings around the site. Looking forward to making the switch soon and getting rid of tapatalk!

Top Bottom