Are the mod's here going to prevent IP theft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

The owner of the original work that has been copied in this thread has reported the resource as have I. The proof of IP theft is obvious. Can we expect to see some action on this, or is it safe to assume that us resource authors are on our own when it comes to protecting our work? I would at least expect the resource be pulled until the staff here can inspect the claims and make a ruling.

We cannot prevent IP theft, no.

Both parties contacted me about that specific dispute. I am choosing to let them sort it out themselves. Whenever I get involved in addon disputes it always ends with one person deleting all of their addons and rage quitting, or at the very least going on a 1-star rating spree. I have learned to accept that I cannot help these situations. Nor is it my place really. I am not a copyright enforcer.

I suggest you get some guidance from the owners on this, then, Jake. I respectfully disagree that you (Xenforo) have no responsibility in these matters.

You are getting ahead of yourself. IP theft has not been established. The two parties disagree here. If they litigate and get a legal ruling then I can enforce that. But I am not the one to make that ruling.

One party has pretty obvious proof that their code has been reused in another's work that they are willing to be paid for. At the very least I think you are absolutely obligated to remove the resource until a resolution is reached...by whomever.

Actually, an alternative would be for both parties to agree to make me the judge, and agree to abide by whatever decision I make. Then I would be willing to make a ruling. But right now both parties think they are right and have requested that I make a ruling in their respective favors.

The mods can't be the judge, jury and executioner on many disputes. But if it is so blatantly obvious, I feel they should at least remove the addon of the one that did steal. I had that happen to me on this site earlier. Someone ripped my sites skin and had it up for a paid theme. Brogan wouldn't do anything about it when all the evidence slapped him right in the face.

So like I said, if it is obvious, removal should be in order IMO.

Actually, an alternative would be for both parties to agree to make me the judge, and agree to abide by whatever decision I make. Then I would be willing to make a ruling. But right now both parties think they are right and have requested that I make a ruling in their respective favors.
Since XF allows user uploaded content then it should already be XF policy that XF staff, or other XF designated representative, will be the final decision maker in user disputes instead of saying that it is up to the users to figure it out. :eek:

Adam has deleted the vB4 and SMF importer in response to the criticism. Like I said, it always ends in a rage quit, even without my help. You have your victory.

I really don't have time to maintain an importer, but the vB4 importer is important to this community so I am re-uploading an older copy of the vB4 importer from this thread:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/vbulletin-4-importer-to-xenforo-1-1.23674/

That is the vB4 importer I have always used, and I know it works for the forum stuff. I haven't tested the CMS, gallery, albums, and social groups though.

Reactions: vVv
Adam has deleted the vB4 and SMF importer in response to the criticism. Like I said, it always ends in a rage quit, even without my help. You have your victory.

I really don't have time to maintain an importer, but the vB4 importer is important to this community so I am re-uploading an older copy of the vB4 importer from this thread:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/vbulletin-4-importer-to-xenforo-1-1.23674/

That is the vB4 importer I have always used, and I know it works for the forum stuff. I haven't tested the CMS, gallery, albums, and social groups though.

I really don't appreciate this response at all Jake and no one deserves critism but Adam. To blame us for someone's actions is rather distasteful. I have a lot of respect for you and your basically saying it is our/my fault for Adam removing his resource. Sorry but I asked Adam nicely for a resolve, he obviously wanted to play the game and now I'm being put out like I'm the bad guy.

Respect -1

Thanks

It was clear to everyone that the guy copied your CSS outright and I think everyone recognises he was in the wrong. I think Jake was just trying to stay neutral.

That post is not neutral. There was no reason to reply to that thread anymore.

Simply re-add the resource, no need for "you got your victory" comment.

Edit: to clarify, jake was neutral with the original complaint btw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom