Are clashes between Addons/Plugins less likely with Xenforo ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly the poor structure of forums makes it harder for most good threads to stay alive.

I would like to believe that xenforo's structure will make addon development more stable. I'm just not sure how true that idea is. I'm trying to learn through examples.

There are still a lot that can be improved on the code side of XenForo but compared to other software, and I mean any other PHP software... it is well ahead of the game.

Sadly the poor structure of forums makes it harder for most good threads to stay alive.

I would like to believe that xenforo's structure will make addon development more stable. I'm just not sure how true that idea is. I'm trying to learn through examples.
The problem is, without good keywords or good thread titles, it's hard to find a thread that exactly covers the topic you're thinking about. Nobody wants to write keywords, and people tend to be lazy with thread titles or don't think about how searchable they will be in the future.

and people tend to be lazy with thread titles or don't think about how searchable they will be in the future.
Quoted for truth.

A well written thread title makes all the difference when it comes to searching.
I despair at some of the titles created here and many times I have actually changed them to make them more relevant and useful. Things such as: "Help!", "Problem", "Can I do this?", etc.

Quoted for truth.

A well written thread title makes all the difference when it comes to searching.
I despair at some of the titles created here and many times I have actually changed them to make them more relevant and useful. Things such as: "Help!", "Problem", "Can I do this?", etc.
oh yes...there's a few people on my site who are famous for thread titles such as:
  • css problem
  • gridview problem
  • checkbox problem
  • display problem
  • urgent! it doesn't work!
  • etc., etc., etc.
Oy! :mad:

Feldon is on the money, as usual !
I agree.

Many people want to change their titles ... but they can't !
But a problem is this...

yes it would nice to just be able to change your thread title, but it would suck for everyone who finds threads by remembering a thread title when they change it.. and unless the error is a typo, the change to the title will probably be big enough where people wont recognize the thread by name. Correcting typos is one thing...but to allow anyone but a staff to change a title could become a mess...I know currently I don't want it, and I am one that often wants to change my own thread titles because I have the memory of a block of wood and forget a lot times what I am doing at the moment.

I think the problem is this...other than a typo, or the rare occurrence that a thread title needs changed because of a misleading topic lets say for one example or because the scope of the thread changes that much...not many people will understand that the people posting are the problem and not the system. Most people do not need to be able to change their thread titles...report your own post and ask for a change to the title..it will happen in due time if it is necessary. The issue that was spoken about earlier I agree with...if you are going to ask a question because you need help...you should name your title appropriately, as a analogy you would not walk in to a restaurant and when they ask you what you want... say 'breakfast'...if you do they will walk away and comeback later until you know what you want and ask you if you are ready to order.

When someone names a thread "it's broken" and that's it...it is obvious that they are not willing to put the effort into creating a title that suits the question, or they are not aware of how important it is...

to fix that problem by adding a feature that encourages people to make bad titles because they can just fix it later is counter productive and will absorb more time in the end for everyone.

Fortunately, XenForo makes it a lot easier to find threads you are actively participating in, even if they're moved or renamed, because if someone quotes or likes your post, you'll get a Notification with the new thread title. Plus any subscription e-mails will still point to the thread, even if it moves or is renamed. Renaming threads wasn't a major issue with vB, and is pretty much a non-issue with XF.

I would say yes, it would be xenmedio's fault. It generally doesn't follow how XenForo is coded

I have reached out to get a group of us together talking about things like this but no one seems interested. Everyone is in their own little shell and I no longer have any time for it.

Something I've been thinking about with this. There seems to be a few different Mod Install Frameworks being offered, rather than just "one global auto mod install framework" used by all. Can this not lead to problems if let's say, I install a mod that requires I use their framework to auto install it, then go and install another mod using a totally different mod framework required to auto install it?

What's going to happen if you install those two mods, both using different frameworks to auto install them. Yet, both edit maybe the same template around the same area. How is one mod framework going to know what changes the other mod framework made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom