Add-on Archive Threads So They Aren't Visible

Wesker

There are plenty of mods that mark the thread read but none that actually archive the thread so it's not viewable anymore. Would be interested in paying for a mod like this.

Archiving is not deleting.

However, if you want members to be able to do that, give them the permission to delete their own threads.

Archiving is not deleting.

However, if you want members to be able to do that, give them the permission to delete their own threads.

Definitely don't want threads deleted. Will only promote fraud on our boards. This isn't a feature and there are no mods out there, but something I personally would be willing to pay for via a mod release.

So you just don't want the thread to be currently visible in the forum view or be able to see it (except for staff) at all but you would like it to not get deleted? Makes sense.

An add-on is not required.
Delete thread by self is a core permission.

That removes the thread from view but moderators can still see/read it.

Think of it this way, when you're in your email and you're done reading them but want to keep the emails, you archive them.

I want to implement this where any member can filter through our forums like it's their own personal email filtering threads they don't want to see but it doesn't delete them. If you delete them, then the other "regular registered" members can't view them.

I really don't understand what it is you want.

You state the threads shouldn't be visible but at the same time they should be?

Brogan, I'm starting to think they want it to so their members can basically choose to ignore threads they don't want to see, but later on possibly see them if they change their mind.

Hmm, so members can "hide" their own threads from everyone else.
Yet they would still be visible to the author?

Wouldn't that damage the forum and remove a lot of content?

Hmm, so members can "hide" their own threads from everyone else.
Yet they would still be visible to the author?

Wouldn't that damage the forum and remove a lot of content?
Negative. If you archived the thread, it's not your thread. It's like "I don't want to see this anymore" and it goes to the bottom of the page, threads you haven't archived remain at the top. This is a user-by-user process. Me archiving a thread doesn't effect you and your thread view at all.

It's like "mark read" makes it have a different icon, only matters for myself. Archiving it would practically ignore it, sending it to the bottom. Later I can still view it by searching or looking at an archives page.

Think of it this way, when you're in your email and you're done reading them but want to keep the emails, you archive them.

I want to implement this where any member can filter through our forums like it's their own personal email filtering threads they don't want to see but it doesn't delete them. If you delete them, then the other "regular registered" members can't view them.
So how would you intend this to work for an archived thread that then had new posts? Would it still remain archived or would it suddenly appear again?

If the former then users would miss out on new content in old threads on the site and would kill any further conversation on the matter.

If however it's the latter (which is how archived email conversations work) then there's a simple solution already built in - it's called the New Posts link. Members would use this like an 'Inbox' where they would see new stuff to read. Things they read are 'archived' and the rest are also 'archived' by using 'Mark Forums Read'. The New Posts 'Inbox' is then empty and the rest of the forums are the archive. :)

So how would you intend this to work for an archived thread that then had new posts? Would it still remain archived or would it suddenly appear again?

If the former then users would miss out on new content in old threads on the site and would kill any further conversation on the matter.

If however it's the latter (which is how archived email conversations work) then there's a simple solution already built in - it's called the New Posts link. Members would use this like an 'Inbox' where they would see new stuff to read. Things they read are 'archived' and the rest are also 'archived' by using 'Mark Forums Read'. The New Posts 'Inbox' is then empty and the rest of the forums are the archive. :)

Say you are a registered member to a busy forum, and you don't want to read specific threads anymore. The option to archive will allow them to make the thread invisible to just your account, not others, even if you're not the original author. All other members who haven't archived it would be able to view it unless they archive it as well. You don't have to be the author of the thread to archive it.

We're planning to use these forums for a market place. What many have requested is that when they view a thread which they aren't interested in, they can archive the thread which I suppose the archive button/icon/text could be listed in a few areas either being on the thread itself or the forum next to the watch/bump icons. I stated why not just use cookies and ignore the threads you clicked on but they say in today's world with all the devices and constantly changing them, cookies aren't reliable which is how this entire archiving idea got started.

You can currently archive conversations with XenForo but you can't archive threads.

Mark Forums Read Mod is also a nice additional mod but not what we need. Need them to be "hidden" or "invisible"

Top Bottom