Apple denied iPad Mini US trademark

Neal

Apple has been denied a trademark for the popular iPad Mini by the US Patent and Trademark Office.

The trademark application for the tablet was turned down because the name was "merely descriptive" and did not create a unique meaning, it said.

But Apple still has until July to persuade the Patent Office that the smaller tablet differs sufficiently from its iconic sibling.

Apple has been involved in a series of patent disputes with rival firms.

It won a landmark case against Korea's Samsung last year but this month, a judge in the US ordered the $1bn (£660m) in damages awarded to Apple be cut by 40% and set a new trial to assess the level of damages.

The award was the biggest in a series of global legal fights between the two companies over patents.

The Patent Office issued the letter in January, although it has only just emerged.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21987831

Does Apple not have the trademark for iPad? If so, why is Apple wasting money on iPad Mini trademark? If this is true, the US Patent Office is correct about trying to double patent a descriptive word; and it would seem to me that Apple's attorneys are the ones making the money out of thin air here for a frivolous paycheck.

Does Apple not have the trademark for iPad? If so, why is Apple wasting money on iPad Mini trademark? If this is true, the US Patent Office is correct about trying to double patent a descriptive word; and it would seem to me that Apple's attorneys are the ones making the money out of thin air here for a frivolous paycheck.

That would probably be like xenforo ltd trying to protect, let's say 'xenforo lite' when I would believe it should already be protected, it's not like I can go make xenforo lite myself and protect it under that name regardless what it is. LOL it is a double win from them....they are getting free advertising in online publications for it and they lost a filing fee for something they didn't even need because they already had the root protected which I believe protects the model designation suffix 'mini' inherently.

Funny

Next they will sue BMW for the name MINI.

What about those men around the world with short nether regions syndrome? Should they be worried? As if they didn't have enough on their plate already, life can be unfair at times. Shame on you apple I hope they give them a free pass.

This just goes to show, if you hire lawyers, keep them on a short leash. I've seen more than a few companies loose reputation only because their lawyers talked them into decisions that ultimately don't seem to protect them on any level. Win or loose.

I was hoping apple would be buried or burned with Jobs as a favorable gesture to the mans ego but I guess I can't have everything.

And just like that the USPTO decision has been reversed and Apple is allowed to continue with the application process for the iPad Mini trademark. They can seek "iPad Mini" as a complete phrase but will not get any use of the word "Mini" separately.

I still have to shake my head at people who are happy when they hear bad news about a company. Seriously? You want to see a company fail and disappear? Having been in this business since the early 80's I've seen Microsoft, Intel, IBM and others as recipients of hate and now it seems its Apples turn.

Next they will sue BMW for the name MINI.

My rolls! Noooo!

photo.JPG

Top Bottom