Anyone work in the component / circuit repair field?

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I'm trying to source what I think is a 24.8 ohm, 0.5% tolerance, 1W to 2W resistor, to fix a broken TV.

I've found a couple online but the exact ohms and tolerance isn't right and the wattage rating isn't high enough.

It's for a Vizio P75-C1 TV main power board.

I think the resistor colour bands are red, yellow, grey, gold, green - but it's hard to make out due to the damage.

It's 4mm diameter and 10mm long so I'm guessing it's a 1 watt resistor.

I could buy a new power board for $150 but if I can get it working for $0.50 I'd rather do that ...

Of course, there could be another fault on the board which caused the resistor to blow but it's worth a try.

part-number.jpgresistor.jpgex-resistor.jpg

Indeed.

This one is quite specific though so I'm not sure they would have had it.

I'm not averse to putting a couple in series to get to the right ohms, but they will need to be spot on with the tolerance.

Looks like you have the same exact one on that same board? Lower right corner of the wider view?

Possible to find a schematic online that might identify the components?

I've got a butt-ton of this stuff in storage. No help, I know. There's not very many of us dinosaurs who do board level work. We're like WW2 survivors, we're numbering fewer by the day.

Did you try FB groups? I'm in several electronics repair groups. It's a great resource.

Looks like you have the same exact one on that same board? Lower right corner of the wider view?
The colours are deceiving in the image - that one is actually red, red, black, gold.

Possible to find a schematic online that might identify the components?
Hah!
I'd have more chance trying to herd sheep :D

Vizio have been completely unhelpful.
It will be the last Vizio product I buy.
I know for a fact they will have a circuit diagram and full parts list on their server - the TV is only 5 years old.

Did you try FB groups? I'm in several electronics repair groups. It's a great resource.
I don't use FB but I do have some posts on various forums, requests out to suppliers, Twitter, etc.

It's so frustrating.
A $4,000 TV ruined for the sake of a 50c component.

This is why so much stuff is just chucked these days.

Umm, not sure how that chart helps.

I already know the value of the resistor, I think - it's burnt so I can't be certain.

I want Vizio to confirm the component spec and then I need to source one.

Wait, you spent 4k on a vizio?????

This chart on may help
That Vizio had really good reviews for it's release year: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2016

I'm asking to see if a friend who does a lot of electronic repairs has a source for the schematic document... Unlike laptop and cellphone, TV aren't as easy to get schematics for.

Thanks @Forsaken

I did a more thorough check and found a blown capacitor further up the chain (C9108), which is likely what caused the resistor to blow.

So now I need 2 components I don't know the exact values of ...

capacitor.webp

I'll probably end up doing what everyone else resorts to - buying a new board and if that doesn't fix it, taking an axe to it and chucking it in a skip (dumpster).

Thanks @Forsaken

I did a more thorough check and found a blown capacitor further up the chain (C9108), which is likely what caused the resistor to blow.

So now I need 2 components I don't know the exact values of ...

View attachment 262018

I'll probably end up doing what everyone else resorts to - buying a new board and if that doesn't fix it, taking an axe to it and chucking it in a skip (dumpster).
I was able to find that exact board for around $75-80, so at least it's about half of what you were thinking!

Top Bottom