Anyone Watched the Premiere of 'The Americans' ?

yavuz

So I came across a new TV Show that premiered on FX, called "The Americans" I thougth it was yet another spy show but it was suprisingly good. The show is about Russian sleeper agents in the United States in the 1980s.

Short Synopsis of the pilot: "The Americans is a period drama about the complex marriage of two KGB spies posing as Americans in suburban Washington D.C. shortly after Ronald Reagan is elected President. The arranged marriage of Philip and Elizabeth Jennings grows more passionate and genuine by the day, but is constantly tested by the escalation of the Cold War. Tensions heighten upon the arrival of a new neighbor, Stan Beeman, an FBI agent."

As a fan on the "Homeland" it has similarities and familar elements but a unique taste. It's refreshing to hear the story from the other side. I must say Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys are perfect as lead-ins and delivered a knockout performance in this first episode.

The trailer doesn't do much justice but here is a trailer:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And a song called "Tusk" from Fleetwood Mac I liked very much:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My question is how far they can take this schtick. Will the FBI agent come across as a really smart guy, forcing the spies to show their own smarts to stay a step ahead, or will it end up as lots of confusing coincidences for the run of the show, after which there will be some sort of lame resolution? Will their kids discover the truth about their parents? Will the FBI find out, recruit the couple and make them double agents?

My question is how far they can take this schtick. Will the FBI agent come across as a really smart guy, forcing the spies to show their own smarts to stay a step ahead, or will it end up as lots of confusing coincidences for the run of the show, after which there will be some sort of lame resolution? Will their kids discover the truth about their parents? Will the FBI find out, recruit the couple and make them double agents?

Am I right to assume you didn't watched the premiere ? :D

The man hunting the spies is a smart guy from what I got, there is also a scene in the end of the episode. I see lots of material that can be used. But in the end, it's not a show that can be able to hold on for like 6-7 seasons 4 tops.

These are the questions I had after the first episode. The FBI guy was suspicious enough to break into their garage to check that car, but the evidence of their former captive was apparently removed, or at least removed by 1980s standards. The question is whether we'll see these just misses episode after episode, or something smarter.

These are the questions I had after the first episode. The FBI guy was suspicious enough to break into their garage to check that car, but the evidence of their former captive was apparently removed, or at least removed by 1980s standards. The question is whether we'll see these just misses episode after episode, or something smarter.

Spoiler alert :P

Yes, these are good questions I guess. Had similar ones with "the homeland" but they seem to hack it. It could go on for another two seasons.

It's starting off well.

According to a press release from FX:

FX’s critically acclaimed new drama seriesThe Americans got off to a strong start Wednesday night, drawing a combined 4.7 million Total Viewers and 2.54 million Adults 18-49 for its first-run episode and encore telecasts.

Those numbers are excellent for an original cable TV series. The 18-49 demographics are the most important, since that's what influences advertisers. The initial showing was number 5 among the top rated cable shows.

Didn't like it much. Maybe the second episode will be better. Honestly, less sex, and more the plot please. I don't want this to turn into Homeland 2.0 with Carry getting her groove thing on and riding everything from Brody to a church steeple. Not to mention her incessant whiny *****ing.

Compared with the other cable network shows, complaint about the sex stuff is exaggerated. Yet, I didn't like the stuff either.

I'm not sure about starting a fan site but couldn't resist to register a domain name a few days back when I saw it not taken: theamericans.tv

Top Bottom