Anyone Love Cameras Around Here?

=MGN=RedEagle

Hey guys,

I am just getting into photography and I have an expensive camera with all kinds of functions and stuff. I like to photograph things close up. I have a few settings on the camera: M, S, A, P, a flower, SCN1 and SCN2. Which of these is best for close up photography? Anyone know a good website where I can learn the basics?

Hi there,

Thanks! The camera is from Panasonic. It called Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20. I have no lens but the standard one. I get the feeling the lens cannot be removed. Here is a picture.

fz20-3q-001.jpg

Where do I get the lens model number?

Hi there,

Thanks! The camera is from Panasonic. It called Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20. I have no lens but the standard one. I get the feeling the lens cannot be removed. Here is a picture.

fz20-3q-001.jpg

That's a bridge camera (between point and shoot and a proper DSLR) so you can't change the lense on it.

I enjoy my photography when i have time but as you can see i have a particular subject matter.. Although i don't think id be so in to it if i didn't have some nice cameras and Photo Shop..
IMG_0145A (Small).webp

Attachments

• Album  Andromeda Dobermann   Doberman Chat Forum  Talk About Doberman Pinschers.webp
    Album Andromeda Dobermann Doberman Chat Forum Talk About Doberman Pinschers.webp
    143.2 KB · Views: 26
iPad cams are seriously awesome... worked that out on recent trip. Don't understand it, but IMO they take a better pic than the iPhone5 which has a larger MP.

We have an entry level DLSR, Nikon something with a nice lens that goes well between close and football field length. I did a dummies course in the city with a photographer and actually learnt some good basics about how to take pictures, how to look at what I'm taking, and some cool effects and what they do.

It's just nice to get really good shots now in manual mode knowing the triangle for adjustment. That was interesting, yet made it easy to get my head around balancing the three to take a good shot regardless of light and such. Keep them in balance for good shot, then over or under expose for desired effect.

Not sure about the camera the op listed but shooting in RAW format is a unique experience this allows you to make all those adjustments Anthony was talking about after the picture has been taken while editing in PS or similier program..

Hey guys,

I am just getting into photography and I have an expensive camera with all kinds of functions and stuff. I like to photograph things close up. I have a few settings on the camera: M, S, A, P, a flower, SCN1 and SCN2. Which of these is best for close up photography? Anyone know a good website where I can learn the basics?

The flower is the best mode to use if you don't know anything about exposure.

Some things you should know:

1. On compact zoom cameras, always shoot at the wide end of the focal range (not zoomed in at all). You will be able to focus closer and the image quality will be higher.

2. Since you have it, always use manual focus for close ups!

(the following may need some studying to understand)
3. Macro requires higher shutter speeds. If the flower mode gives blurry images, use S mode to set the shutter speed. In order to have a high shutter speed, a good amount needs to be available. The simplest way is to turn the flash on (may not work too close up). Each time you turn the ISO up (ex. 200 to 400) will allow you to double shutter speed at a given light.

4. Learn about DOF. Smaller Apertures (higher F numbers) will place more of the subject in focus. DOF is very shallow when focusing close but you have a compact camera with a small sensor. This gives you a huge amount DOF in comparison to DSLRs. You'll need to understand exposure before you play with this!

Good place to learn:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-exposure.htm

I got into photography with a Pentax K1000 and used to shoot B&W film I developed at home myself (color was a big jump in price & complexity). The problem with film is it costs money to shoot. You simply cannot afford the time & money to shoot an unlimited number of pictures to experiment with different camera settings.

Digital cameras are a great tool to learn photography. With a digital camera I highly recommend shooting the same picture using a bunch of different settings for things like shutter, aperture, zoom and even doing things like intentionally over or under exposing or changing the color balance. Then look at the resulting pictures to see the differences between settings. This will go a long way to understanding what everything does.

When I started shooting film I had to take a notebook along and record my settings and wouldn't be able to see the results until I got home and developed the film/printed the pictures. With digital you can practice as much as you want and it doesn't cost a dime.

Hi there,

fz20-3q-001.jpg

The Lumix DMC-FZ20 is a fairly old (5 megapixel) camera. It was first announced at the end of July 2004. As such, it may be difficult to find a community of users actively using and posting about it specifically.
That's ok though because it has all the functions one needs to take photographs and it's merely a tool in that process.
I think you should seek out general photography related sites, gain knowledge from them and use that knowledge to help you take better pictures with the tool you have.
Any camera specific questions should be resolvable by reading the manual. If you don't have one, here's a link to the DMC-FZ20 online version:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCFZ20PP.PDF

There's a fairly large community of photographers at Digital Photography Review:
http://www.dpreview.com

If you have questions specific to the Lumix DMC-FZ20, you will probably be able to find help there.
There is even a decent review of the Lumix DMC-FZ20 there:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz20
Have a look. You may find some useful info in the review article.

Good luck and have fun with photography!

Oh, by the way, both Mike and Kier are into photography.

Regards,
Allen

Hmm, great tips, thanks guys. I need to find out how to change to aperture and shutter when I am in those modes. Will be going for another session soon :).

Just found my camera charger so I can get back to photography. (y)
I just need to find my inspiration to get back into it. I went mad with it when I first started in 2007, but the last 2 years I've hardly used my camera.

It might change in December when the baby is born though :whistle:

Top Bottom