Anyone know how to setup the gsuite from Google for sending out the mail

VinceG

Hi People.

I have a dedicated server, without e-mail capabilities on it and don't want the complication of setting up postfix just for e-mails to be sent by my shiny new forum. So, I have signed up to googles new G Suite to send out the e-mail from my board. Has anyone done this, I'm finding it difficult to set up.

You should really setup a mail daemon at your server.
Not just for XF, but for the server itself. Sometimes a server needs to send warning or information messages to you.

If you allow only the localhost to send mails (which is the default of all new mail installs), you don't need to setup a lot of rules for relaying mails. Even XF is able to send mail over localhost.

Thanks for that HWS, can you recommend an easy solution? All the ones I've looked at are either really complicated, or need to be setup on a brand new system, which is now "too late"

Thanks for that HWS, can you recommend an easy solution? All the ones I've looked at are either really complicated, or need to be setup on a brand new system, which is now "too late"

If you are on redhat/centos a
% yum install postfix
is all you need to do.

I agree with @HWS. You definitely want something local to notify you of any server issues; however, you can combine this with G Suite and use it to send out your XenForo mail. As a provider, we receive Spam feedback reports where forum users unknowingly (and sometimes knowingly) hit the Spam button at their email provider for thread or conversation notification emails. This can in turn cause your server to be blacklisted at various RBLs and may put you in a bad position with your hosting provider.

If you're running a larger board, you may want to combine postfix along with a third party mail (or SMTP only) provider like G Suite or SendGrid to send out your XenForo mail.

To add, postfix can easily be modified to relay system emails through your Gmail App account.

FWIW G Suite does have a fairly restrictive sending limit of 2,000 messages per day, so probably something to keep in mind if you're wanting to use it for outgoing email.

Top Bottom