Anybody good at mathematics?

Lee

Can anybody just verify if I am right in thinking the following little equation is correct?

When working with real and imaginary numbers in polar form I am right in thinking that you times or divide the real part and add or subtract the imaginary part, yes?

isthiscorrect.webp

Have you tried WolframAlpha.com? (100L20°)/(2L60°)

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(100L20°)/2L60°)&a=*MC.L20-_*Unit.dflt-&a=UnitClash_*L.*Lamberts--&a=UnitClash_*°.*AngularDegrees.dflt--

edit: oops wrong one. Pretty sure this is what you're looking for:
Pretty sure your answer is correct just need to move the 40 back down for the "proper" notation.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(100L20°)/(2L60°)&a=*MC.L20-_*ConcatPower-&a=UnitClash_*L.*Liters.dflt--&a=UnitClash_*°.*AngularDegrees.dflt--

What on earth are you studying that needs you to work with numbers in polar form?

Not something you come across very often (read: ever!).

Electronics. We use them a lot to work out impedances of electronic components. :)

Can anybody just verify if I am right in thinking the following little equation is correct?
Code:
package foo.bar;
import org.apache.commons.math3.complex.*;
import org.apache.commons.math3.util.FastMath;

public class Main {

public static void main(String[] args) {
        Complex p1 = ComplexUtils.polar2Complex(100, FastMath.toRadians(20));
        Complex p2 = p1.divide(ComplexUtils.polar2Complex(2, FastMath.toRadians(60)));

double theta = FastMath.atan(p2.getImaginary() / p2.getReal());
        double mag = FastMath.sqrt(p2.getImaginary() * p2.getImaginary() + p2.getReal() * p2.getReal());

System.out.println(mag + "L" + FastMath.toDegrees(theta));
    }
}
Output:
50.0L-40.00000000000000
So, yeah, you're right - and yes, I'm in idle mode (not sayin' I'm bored), but this took only a couple of minutes anyway :)

Code:
package foo.bar;
import org.apache.commons.math3.complex.*;
import org.apache.commons.math3.util.FastMath;

public class Main {

public static void main(String[] args) {
        Complex p1 = ComplexUtils.polar2Complex(100, FastMath.toRadians(20));
        Complex p2 = p1.divide(ComplexUtils.polar2Complex(2, FastMath.toRadians(60)));

double theta = FastMath.atan(p2.getImaginary() / p2.getReal());
        double mag = FastMath.sqrt(p2.getImaginary() * p2.getImaginary() + p2.getReal() * p2.getReal());

System.out.println(mag + "L" + FastMath.toDegrees(theta));
    }
}
Output:

So, yeah, you're right - and yes, I'm in idle mode (not sayin' I'm bored), but this took only a couple of minutes anyway :)

:ROFLMAO: thanks very much!

Top Bottom