Any news on the Big Board seach app yet Kier?

Brrrrrring it! :)

I'm "blessed" with a community where a lot of two-character searches could be very common. DA, AP, DL, AA, US, etc.

What's considered "big" (in terms of posts) for this search solution?
Well typically it is considered that any more than 1m posts is when you need to switch from the standard MySQL search to an alternative solution.

I'm "blessed" with a community where a lot of two-character searches could be very common. DA, AP, DL, AA, US, etc.
I use shared hosting but I'm very fortunate in that the host has set the MySQL config file to 2 characters, so I have set the ACP option to the same.

If you have the option, then definitely.

Especially as your community uses 2 letter acronyms as you say.

Very excited to see this being close to a reality. Just to have everyone stop complaining about search not working well will be worth installing it alone.

Stay tuned, it's almost there, we're working on it.

We have been hearing this since and probably before early march 2011, came November it was "still being worked on".

I, and many others want to know: when can we expect big board search. I am really disappointed in the lack of dependability and lack of professionalism here. What you're essentially saying is:

Guys we might or might not be working on it, we will just keep you waiting indefinitely, doesn't matter whether you incur costs or not. Release schedules, road maps and in general letting customers know what we are working on is over rated, let us do what we like when we want it and stop asking questions.

Despite its flaws I love the xenforo software, I like many here migrated from VB to XF because we like sticking to and supporting the little man instead of the faceless corporation. Stop treating your customers like the latter.

I'll repeat again, I need to search through well over a million posts: do I need to invest in developer and system administration time to get sphinx functioning with 1.1.1 OR should I wait at most two more weeks for big board search to have its well overdue release?

You know, after tweaking MySQL and setting XenForo to match those new settings, I can search a 1.7 million post XenForo installation and it takes a couple of seconds.

The XF search works. My vBulletin search never really did.

We have been hearing this since and probably before early march 2011, came November it was "still being worked on".

I, and many others want to know: when can we expect big board search. I am really disappointed in the lack of dependability and lack of professionalism here. What you're essentially saying is:

Guys we might or might not be working on it, we will just keep you waiting indefinitely, doesn't matter whether you incur costs or not. Release schedules, road maps and in general letting customers know what we are working on is over rated, let us do what we like when we want it and stop asking questions.

Despite its flaws I love the xenforo software, I like many here migrated from VB to XF because we like sticking to and supporting the little man instead of the faceless corporation. Stop treating your customers like the latter.

I'll repeat again, I need to search through well over a million posts: do I need to invest in developer and system administration time to get sphinx functioning with 1.1.1 OR should I wait at most two more weeks for big board search to have its well overdue release?

If your unhappy with how XF operates its business model you are more than free to go back to vbulletin or hire your own developper to update the mods you need.

The difference with XF is when the products are released publicly you know they are going to be of high enough quality to go into production immediately. By not giving dates and times the XF team allows themself the extra time they need to create a perfect product opposed to a hash rush release. And I for one want to keep it that way. It gives me a confidence in the XF products that VB could never give back to me. Alternatively if they give you a date and rush release something which makes your board non-opperational, likewise your going to come and complain like this again pointing fingers. I would prefer to wait for quality, and I suspect 99% of others here do also. Yes a wait can be frustrating but learn to live with it like the rest of us.

If you are incurring costs because your board doesn't have an enhanced large search solution (and yes, running the default mysql search is well within Xenforos limits even on larger 1m+ boards, so I think your arguement is null anyway) then I would suggest the problem is in your own house and you should figure that out instead of pointing the finger elsewhere, maybe you should have waited to transfer rather than rush to the latest toy?

We waited nearly a year and a half before switching the P8ntballer Forums to XenForo. Was the wait frustrating? Damn it yes, but we know it was worth the wait because now we have a solid and feature rich board to run.

/Rant over.

Well I'm speechless, but that's only because I have my mouth full slurping my coffee. :coffee:

you are more than free to go back to vbulletin or hire your own developper to update the mods you need.

If you are incurring costs because your board doesn't have an enhanced large search solution (and yes, running the default mysql search is well within Xenforos limits even on larger 1m+ boards, so I think your arguement is null anyway) then I would suggest the problem is in your own house and you should figure that out instead of pointing the finger elsewhere, maybe you should have waited to transfer rather than rush to the latest toy?

The question was and remains: Should I get sphinx search to work with the latest xenforo version, which costs both time and money, which would be wasted if the new search is released within a matter of weeks. If it takes another year for it to be released it would be worth the time and effort.

I and many others have not and are not demanding precise release dates, an ETA and some less vague updates than "stay tuned" is all that is being asked.

The question was and remains: Should I get sphinx search to work with the latest xenforo version, which costs both time and money, which would be wasted if the new search is released within a matter of weeks. If it takes another year for it to be released it would be worth the time and effort.

I and many others have not and are not demanding precise release dates, an ETA and some less vague updates than "stay tuned" is all that is being asked.

I can understand your frustrations, and your point of wanting just an estimate. However, if you have spent anytime on either vb.com/org, or any other platform forum, you know that people never forget. "You said it was going to be released in the spring. It's now summer. Where is it? Or are we talking about spring on the other side of the world?" There's no way a platform developer is going to win.

It will be closer to a couple of weeks than a year.
Thank you.
Looking forward to it.
I can understand your frustrations, and your point of wanting just an estimate. However, if you have spent anytime on either vb.com/org, or any other platform forum, you know that people never forget. "You said it was going to be released in the spring. It's now summer. Where is it? Or are we talking about spring on the other side of the world?" There's no way a platform developer is going to win.

I think most of us can empathize with the platform developer when they suffer delays due to unforeseen circumstances. It wouldn't take more than saying: "We expected to work on this between X and Y, but unfortunately had to prioritize fixing Z, which delayed the feature release".

Some people will always complain, whether there is or is no accountability -- and that, unfortunately comes with the job. Anyone running a community knows this. However, stonewalling any and all requests for some hints of where this product is going and when won't solve that, it arguably makes it worse.

I mean, seriously: how much time is spent on both ends with evasive questions and answers? Compare this to the few man hours it might take every quarter to maintain a roadmap / progress list.

If it's in use here on the XF community forums, then I would imagine it will be for testing and fine tuning before general release.

To me, that would indicate it is very nearly finished. (y)

For some reason I assumed the new search engine would use some clever database structure tricks to work around MySQL limitations, but would still be based on MySQL, so the fact that it's using ElasticSearch (Lucene and java powered) is a big surprise to me. I'm wondering if a relative ease of ElasticSearch installation (just java, no need to compile anything) was a key factor in the decision to use it vs Sphinx.

For some reason I assumed the new search engine would use some clever database structure tricks to work around MySQL limitations, but would still be based on MySQL, so the fact that it's using ElasticSearch (Lucene and java powered) is a big surprise to me. I'm wondering if a relative ease of ElasticSearch installation (just java, no need to compile anything) was a key factor in the decision to use it vs Sphinx.

If memory serves me correctly (and it may very well be failing me given that it's 1AM in the morning and several months ago), Kier told me back in April that a big factor that Elastic Search was selected was that the overall server footprint was non-existent and that it provided extremely powerful and complex search capabilities without the need for overly excessive overhead.

Top Bottom