1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any list of ad locations?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by sophie1204, Jul 1, 2011.

1. sophie1204

sophie1204 Active Member

I've been using the demo, and I see there are multiple ad locations in the templates (ad_something else). I've been experimenting with putting in ads to see where they go, but I was wondering: is there something available that specifically describes the ad locations? Also, is it possible to put an ad only below the first post in a thread and not after each post?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. sophie1204

sophie1204 Active Member

Thanks! Very helpful. The support I've been given here is another reason why going with XenForo makes sense.

4. Brogan

If you want to show the ad after the first post on every page, then you would use this:

<xen:if is="{$post.position} % {$xenOptions.messagesPerPage} == 0">
    This content will show after the first post on every page
    </xen:if>

The Sorcerer likes this.
  5. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

SS Ad Locations.png
    A SS that lists all ad locations.

6. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

How perfect, I was just this second coming to look for this :)

7. sophie1204

sophie1204 Active Member

What's the difference between "Above Top Breadcrumb" and "Above Content?"

8. Slavik

Above content is just above the node list, above that is the Forums > Xenforo > Node Name > Thread name navigation bar, above breadcrumb is above this.

9. Lawrence

sophie1204,

While I develop my add-on I need to know what locations are displayed to the visitor when in specific areas of XenForo. I took the time to edit each ad location template to display the ad template name, for testing. You can explore my development site to see where and when each ad template will be shown.

As my site is for developing , forgive the "mess" it is in, and of course the crazy test posts.

http://www.xenfx.net/community/index.php

Ingenious and RobParker like this.
  10. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

That's extremely useful. Is that likely to stay up or something you plan to remove?

11. sophie1204

sophie1204 Active Member

Hey, I agree -- that's great! Definitely a good resource! I think your add-on sounds like a good one for me.

12. Slavik

I just made these up, feel free to add them to the FAQ if you think they are good enough

ad_locations1.jpg ad_locations2.jpg ad_locations3.jpg ad_locations4.jpg

13. Brogan

Thanks Slavik.

That was on my to do list so it saves me a job :)

wedgar likes this.
  14. sophie1204

sophie1204 Active Member

FABULOUS!!!!

Thanks!

15. RobParker

Is there not an ad template for first/last post in a thread?

16. Brogan

You use one of the existing templates and a conditional.

RobParker likes this.
  17. RobParker

Ah of course, thanks :)

18. Lawrence

I'm keeping those up until I take official SS's for the release of the add-on. I want to leave them there for reference as there are six different possible combinations of displayed ad templates, depending on ControllerResponse TemplateName. I already have a list of each combination; something I needed to help keep resources used by this add-on to a minimum.

I'll create a list for XF if anyone would think it would be helpful.

19. Yiit

Yiit Member

I can't see XenFr Ad Manager in this picture, in my forum. What should I do?

20. Deepmartini

Deepmartini Well-Known Member

Is the ad manager plugin the same as Xenforo hooks? Can I insert any type of code in there (not just for ads) and have it show up in those locations? Or are the hooks the same thing? I don't understand the difference or is it the same?