Any Linux Samba experts handy? :)

Kevin

Anybody experienced with RHEL6 & Samba? I am trying to get our Windows network to access some folders on a new RHEL6 withouth being prompted for a password but I don't want to use AD for the Linux account logins.

What I would be after would be to either expose the folders to windows using AD but only use AD for Samba and no where else or to just expose the folders wide open with no user account security at all.

Everything I'm finding is to either use AD for both Samba & the account logins or creating Samba accounts per user but that would then prompt them for a password when trying to access the folder.

Anybody? :cautious:

Anybody experienced with RHEL6 & Samba? I am trying to get our Windows network to access some folders on a new RHEL6 withouth being prompted for a password but I don't want to use AD for the Linux account logins.

What I would be after would be to either expose the folders to windows using AD but only use AD for Samba and no where else or to just expose the folders wide open with no user account security at all.

Everything I'm finding is to either use AD for both Samba & the account logins or creating Samba accounts per user but that would then prompt them for a password when trying to access the folder.

Anybody? :cautious:

I assume you mean samba server + windows clients? or adding a second samba server to an existing windows network?

I assume you mean samba server + windows clients?
That one. :) We are a windows shop but have a couple of linux boxes for some legacy apps that are accessed via telnet. We need to browse the folders on the box from various Win servers using their UNC folder names.

I am not at home or I could paste my samba.cnf file. There are some good write ups on the net that I found searching with google when I set mine up. Once you get it going, it is pretty easy disabling or enabling guest access or require authentication.

I am not at home or I could paste my samba.cnf file. There are some good write ups on the net that I found searching with google when I set mine up. Once you get it going, it is pretty easy disabling or enabling guest access or require authentication.
Unfortunately everything I am finding at the moment starts with the assumption of using having the AD integration already up & running, including the linux account logins, as opposed to treating samba as its own separate entity.

telnet

yikes.

I remember from before the new millennium when people used telnet.

</offtopic>

This tutorial seems to be in line with what I setup: http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Setting_up_a_Samba_Server

Biggest thing is to make sure the ports are open in the firewall. Are you looking to have the users authenticate at all? Each with their own account or maybe one account for all to use?
Thanks; I ended up trying a fresh install of RHEL6 on a QA box to say 'Heck with it, let's just bind it to AD.' and am getting hung up on an annoying error during 'net ads join' that it can't find the DC server even though I can ping and tried the IP directly as part of the command. :( Will try again in the morning; tonight I'm doing some HP patches on the boxes.

telnet

yikes.

I remember from before the new millennium when people used telnet.

</offtopic>
The corporate world is a bit slower to change then end-users are. ;)

Hence why they're being embarrassed en-masse by hacker groups every year.

It's a 0 effort change to go from plain text telnet to encrypted ssh2.

A firewall means *NOTHING* when data flows plain text in and out of the system.
Not to mention the 500+ possibilities for man-in-the-middle that telnet introduces.

Anyway, it's not the topic of this conversation. Recommend it to your IT head to just 'reconsider' to a) have a review of the firewall, and while they're at it, b) to use PuTTy for ssh2 to more securely connect to the boxes in and out the net, rather than over telnet. You can use the same programs. Plus, when you use SSH you can uninstall ftp daemons and use sftp instead. Solving the issue with plain-text ftp data transfers as well.

@Floris: Don't assume that these boxes are reachable over the LAN and especially not over the WAN. Those scenes in TV shows where somebody needs to be in the building to access a box? It isn't always made up. ;)

I remember having to google for tons of tutorials to get my nfs and samba working. Mostly firewall and SE Linux stuff.

Gawd I hate SE Linux.

Top Bottom