Any limit on numbers?

RThorner

Hi, sorry if this is a really basic, stupid question! I'm thinking of establishing a forum for a community that is likely to have between 1,000 and 5,000 members. At the moment we are on facebook and have 1,000 people on our private page, and it is getting too messy. The only forums I have been on before have had a few hundred members. Are there practical limits on how many members / how much traffic a forum can handle? Do I need to worry?

Exactly what @Brogan says--we run a big board as well. It's not so much the number of members that will cause an issue, but the amount of traffic a busy forum will generate. One of my larger projects has about 2,000 concurrent visitors on average, and we use a dedicated server that handles it well. (It's not even all that powerful or current, but it's a testament to XenForo's design that we can run such a busy forum that handles the traffic and still maintain under a 50% load just about all of the time.)

Exactly what @Brogan says--we run a big board as well. It's not so much the number of members that will cause an issue, but the amount of traffic a busy forum will generate. One of my larger projects has about 2,000 concurrent visitors on average, and we use a dedicated server that handles it well. (It's not even all that powerful or current, but it's a testament to XenForo's design that we can run such a busy forum that handles the traffic and still maintain under a 50% load just about all of the time.)
What are your server specs? I'm trying to figure out what I may need for 10,000 concurrent users.

Top Bottom