1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any harm in deleting old redirects?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by cmeinck, Apr 3, 2014.

1. cmeinck

cmeinck Well-Known Member

Is there any harm in deleting redirects? Initially, these might make sense. I'm thinking that at some point, it might be a good thing to parse these out. For example, I don't need search engines bumping into a redirect from 2012.

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 7.15.58 PM.png

Any suggestions on finding existing redirects? Any way to mass delete redirects?

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

There is no reason to delete old redirects. There is also no utility to do this. It could be achieved with manual queries though.

The search engine will get redirected to the real thread. No harm that I can see.

3. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

On my forum I have changed the default to one hour expiring redirects. So after an hour the redirects automatically get deleted. Redirects can be confusing to users and I think it's best to remove them after an hour.

4. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

These redirects are internal; intended to show human visitors where a thread has gone.

AFAIK the URL remains exactly the same (because it doesn't reference the forum ID) wherever it is in your forum structure, so removing these redirects shouldn't impact on search engines at all. :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    Chris D likes this.
  5. cmeinck

cmeinck Well-Known Member

Looks like my management of threads of the years has caused a few instances of this:

Screen Shot 2014-04-03 at 10.53.17 AM.png