Any good news? Please help to stop rumors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been involved in settlements before involving the development of software. I'm a developer. Typically, when two parties enter into settlement negotiations, there is a gag order invoked between the two parties in order to keep things moving along behind closed doors. I suspect this is what is likely going on here. A court room battle will likely last years, the software industry will have produced another solution during the time, and the developers will likely go bankrupt trying to battle IB. No one gains anything.

Now this isn't to say a settlement is a bad thing. The developers here may actually be seeking damages against IB for falsely accusing them of something and hurting their products. The developers likely signed NDAs and other legal documents that IB is using to claim what they are claiming. Depending on the wording of those documents.

The vibe around forum communities are disturbing me terribly. I am getting out of forum community completely and will not do any thing expect my own forums. Everyone around seems they deserve everything. You guys think you own the world when you pay for a license fee or a renewal fee. A fee that is actually nothing compared to what you all spend in real life. I am so fed up with this , i get upset on vBSEO.com forums lately and posted a very unprofessional message probably but the level you guys pushing developers are insane.

However it is not the only thing that disturbs me, fanboys are another major problem. There are zillions of them in this topic and many others. Liking a product , using it is Ok but turning into a fanboy and attacking everyone who has questions only disturbs the product you think you are defending. Everyone has a right to voice their opinion , if you don't like it don't read it simply but don't continue to attack people because you love them.

For me , i can understand why Kier and Mike are being upset. The stress level this case can put on your shoulders is not something you can possibly easily understand as it is not your families , child's income that is in danger or your reputation.

But i also don't forget the Pre IB days on vBulletin. Constant denied feature requests , constant delays on implementing key features etc.. Right now for me Xenforo is a good script that i can use for any hobby forum i want to start but if i am making money from my forum , Xenforo is not the ideal solution for me because of two reasons :

1. Ongoing law case
2. Complete change on Xenforo company policies regarding informing customers / Pre IB vBulletin history.

Please feel free to continue your attacks however keep in mind , i don't give a f...k to fanboy attacks.

I've been involved in settlements before involving the development of software. I'm a developer. Typically, when two parties enter into settlement negotiations, there is a gag order invoked between the two parties in order to keep things moving along behind closed doors. I suspect this is what is likely going on here. A court room battle will likely last years, the software industry will have produced another solution during the time, and the developers will likely go bankrupt trying to battle IB. No one gains anything.

Now this isn't to say a settlement is a bad thing. The developers here may actually be seeking damages against IB for falsely accusing them of something and hurting their products. The developers likely signed NDAs and other legal documents that IB is using to claim what they are claiming. Depending on the wording of those documents.

My speculation for some time.

The developers are developing. Fixing bugs. Working hard. They are under no obligation whatsoever to report what they're doing on these forums, nor to provide a steady stream of improvements and features, nor to even post on these forums - at all - ever. When it's time for a release, you'll know it, and you'll know what's in it. In the meantime, you can see the "improvements" first hand by watching the bugs being fixed in that forum.

Y'all keep talking about the developers having "disappeared" for months. They haven't disappeared. They've simply not been posting on the forums. Is there anywhere in the license that promises you that the developers will post a certain amount on the forums every day, week, or month? NO. You get what you paid for - forum software, and ticket support. That's what you paid for and that ALL you are entitled to. Like it or not.

The sense of entitlement y'all have is unreal. :rolleyes:

A bug fix seeing as an improvement that's one way to look at it.

But again and this is becoming a broken record. I want information before so i can plan and invest where its needed not do something and then come to the conclusion that the version released my investment was not needed. Also disappeared is not what everyone said but what people are saying instead that they inform their customers like they used to at the moment that's dropped.

Communication is key for any company that does business on the internet good information keeps people happy and in front of the competition. That's why a few have gone to IPB while IPB give information its real close to release but its better then non at all. If you look at the resource add-on Jan 10 2012 it was announced with some extra information that new functions where added on Feb 22 2012 after that nothing about the add-on, not even a target date for release, so i assume that they do not want to sell this add-on to make money for their company else you would keep people in the loop.

The three C's on the internet are Communication Communication and Communication be it from marketing, PR are even developers that's irrelevant.

I see development still going on based on bug fixes.. I would like to purchase Resource manager too but I don't think they will be releasing it any time soon.

A bug fix seeing as an improvement that's one way to look at it.

But again and this is becoming a broken record. I want information before so i can plan and invest where its needed not do something and then come to the conclusion that the version released my investment was not needed. Also disappeared is not what everyone said but what people are saying instead that they inform their customers like they used to at the moment that's dropped.

Communication is key for any company that does business on the internet good information keeps people happy and in front of the competition. That's why a few have gone to IPB while IPB give information its real close to release but its better then non at all. If you look at the resource add-on Jan 10 2012 it was announced with some extra information that new functions where added on Feb 22 2012 after that nothing about the add-on, not even a target date for release, so i assume that they do not want to sell this add-on to make money for their company else you would keep people in the loop.

The three C's on the internet are Communication Communication and Communication be it from marketing, PR are even developers that's irrelevant.

Well good luck on all that. I don't think it's going to happen, to be honest.

However it is not the only thing that disturbs me, fanboys are another major problem.

I found the "Leave XenForo Alone" fan boy website disturbing.
Xenforo is not the ideal solution for me because of two reasons :
1. Ongoing law case
2. Complete change on Xenforo company policies regarding informing customers / Pre IB vBulletin history.

I think No. 2 is what this threads author was addressing. The change in behavior, the lack of communication works so much to the disadvantage of XenForo that it begs the question, why would they do something that is so against their nature and so against their own better interest. Settlement and vB5 = XenForo June 12 would be logical answer. May not be right but it is a reasonable guess.

I found the "Leave XenForo Alone" fan boy website disturbing.

I think No. 2 is what this threads author was addressing. The change in behavior, the lack of communication works so much to the disadvantage of XenForo that it begs the question, why would they do something that is so against their nature and so against their own better interest. Settlement and vB5 = XenForo June 12 would be logical answer. May not be right but it is a reasonable guess.

I respect everyone's opinion however i don't have time to make guess's what will happen in future. There are many others that choose to do so.

Just out of interest.

How come when all vBulletin were doing was bugfixing it was "evidence that the company is not developing the product", yet when all XenForo is doing is bugfixing it is "evidence that the company is developing the product".

Which is it? One cannot have it both ways.
I wasn't aware that was ever the case?

While I find these threads quite entertaining to read when bored, I think it is self evident that KAM are not bothered that a significant portion of their community is unhappy with the current situation. You can argue, speculate, and sling crap at each other till the cows come home, but KAM have made their opinion/position abundantly clear by doing and saying just about nothing, which makes continual requests for their attention pointless. Some good points have been raised in these threads, however they are all irrelevant as KAM do not seem to care what you think about the way they run their business or even whether you stay or leave. We are all like kids in the back seat of a moving car screaming our heads off waiting for our parents to pull over and pay us some attention. Guess what, the car is not stopping. The way I see it, you can either enjoy/suffer the ride hoping the destination will be worth it, or attempt to jump out.

While I find these threads quite entertaining to read when bored, I think it is self evident that the KAM are not bothered that a significant portion of their community is unhappy with the current situation. You can argue, speculate, and sling crap at each other till the cows come home, but KAM have made their opinion abundantly clear by doing and saying just about nothing, which makes continual requests for their attention pointless. <snip>
I've chosen to speculate and can not agree that the silence is what KAM wants, but rather has been told.
These and multiple threads alike will continue until locked. Damned if they [locking threads] do, damned if they don't.

KAM do not seem to care what you think about the way they run their business or even whether you stay or leave.

Do they care about their business staying afloat? Lets say they win this case. It wont do much good with a shattered customer reputation and poor community commitment. Yes, yes, we understand your points, now understand ours. You can run your business or crash it...just because you have a good product it doesn't mean you will inherently succeed in the future...in the end it's your choice. KAM is making the choice, and they are not setting themselves up for the future. I'm only bothering with this thread myself, out of boredom lol. In the long run it doesn't matter much to me. I can always go elsewhere, I did it on an impulse to come here, I can go to the next guy to make a move and do it right in the industry as well.

While I find these threads quite entertaining to read when bored

These days I am using these threads as breaks between work... Entertaining they are indeed! Specially with priceless quotes like this!

You can argue, speculate, and sling crap at each other till the cows come home

til-the-cows-come-home-w.jpg

While everyone is busy saying I need this, I need that, I will leave if you don't do this....they fail to realize as users of software what a developer must do when taking on one request , let alone 500 different demands from people leaning towards the side of being irrational. This is not an attack at all, I once knew NOTHING about code or how a forum back-end worked but now that I have learned enough to make some addons, make a few styles, and doing some nice one of a kind stuff I can imagine that dealing with demands on the scale around the forum market is just captain ridiculous about life.

As far as communication, they have said it enough here and ppl would be wise to remember....you don't buy something because of what it might hold in the future, you buy it because of what it does now (with the exception in this case that you may be able to add functionality in the short future yourself by spending your time adding to the core code. )

Tweaking a style can take hours...what do you think about the back-end code being changed to support new features...while mentioning that xf hasn't needed a security update yet as far as I know and half of the other guys out there have to push updates all the time for security reasons only. The difference is doing it for the money and doing it because you want to make a living doing what you love doing.

Some comments and statements are so out of whack here (I don't directly comment on those unless they are intended with malice) that sometimes I think the motive behind their statements are not what they are trying to imply.

To summate before I leave this thread , the way to stop rumors is to stop speculating and start actually doing something rather than complaining and waiting for someone else to do something and then complaining that you didn't get a status report from them.

We are all like kids in the back seat of a moving car screaming our heads off waiting for our parents to pull over and pay us some attention. Guess what, the car is not stopping. The way I see it, you can either enjoy/suffer the ride hoping the destination will be worth it, or attempt to jump out.

But is the car headed to Disneyland where the motto is "Keep Moving Forward" or is it headed to the orphanage to dump the "kids"?

We'll know where it's not headed after June 12th.

I think a bus full of customers on a Magical Mystery Tour might be a better analogy. But I hate analogies so just customers betting their business on XenForo's product legitimately requesting information on the product.

You are right about them knowing how users feel and choosing to do nothing. No matter what the circumstance that is wrong and they could say.

"Sorry due to legal and other issues, we can't participate in the forums like we used to. We can say development is moving forward (true whether settlement in the works or not), we are fixing bugs and as soon as we can we'll be back and explain our absence."

Reactions: Cal
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom