1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antivirus Question?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kuyenmotdivad, Feb 2, 2012.

1. kuyenmotdivad

kuyenmotdivad Active Member

I'm looking at buying a new antivirus and was looking at BitDefender Total Security 2012 (3 User / 1 year), does anyone know if its any good - and worth buying?
  2. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

ESET Nod 32.

Second to none :D
  3. Robbo

Robbo Well-Known Member

Linux mint ;)
    Brett Peters likes this.
  4. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

Bitdefender 2011 was horrible, constant stuttering in video/games. Doubt 2012 would be much better

Get microsoft security essentials if you must have antivirus software, but really Common Sense 2012 + Malwarebytes is more than adequate ;)
    Biker likes this.
  5. Jesepi

Jesepi Well-Known Member

Microsoft Security Essentials is free, and very good. It is based on their enterprise security solution.
    Itworx4me and Biker like this.
  6. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

I'll also chime in for Security Essentials. There is absolutely no need to spend money on anti-virus protection.
  7. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Kaspersky Internet Security, but buy it on Amazon for far much less. ;)

They have a 30 day free trial, so you can check it out yourself and decide.

8. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

KIS isn't really worth the price tag, especially as MSE is much leaner, much faster, and offers the same security.

Truthfully, the only paid AV I would recommend is Nod32, and that is because it is also a lightweight AV that offers a lot in the way of security.
  9. Adam Howard

This is 1 out of 50 other independent test I could find. All of them list Kaspersky #1 or #2 for all of 2011

And as I said, you can get Kaspersky cheaper on Amazon then you can on their site.
  10. chousho

chousho Well-Known Member

What are you currently using, and what do you not like about it? Also, what are you looking for in terms of features? Something that gives you maximum control over every details? Something that is "smart" and knows the most common things to allow? Something that will run lightly and let you play games without lagging?
  11. Slavik

I prefer looking at a companies track history opposed to which wins for 1 year.

Eset: 71 Pass, 3 Fail from February 1998 (4 tests not entered)
    Kaspersky: 57 Pass, 20 Fail from January 1998 (2 tests not entered)
  12. Adam Howard

13. Slavik

If you read the link youll see its actually a summary of 78 seperate reports spanning over 14 years. ;)
  14. Adam Howard

Again from that source
  15. Quillz

Quillz Well-Known Member

I used to use NOD32, worked well and never had any issues with it. But for the past couple years now, I've been running Microsoft Security Essentials and it's equally been running well.
  16. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

Been using Kaspersky Internet Security for years now. No issues as well.

ESET Nod 32 is more expensive. Microsoft Security Essentials is just antivirus, right?
    TheVisitors likes this.
  17. ChemicalKicks

ChemicalKicks Well-Known Member

Used to use ESET.

Switched to AVG free, wouldn't pay ever again.
  18. kuyenmotdivad

kuyenmotdivad Active Member

I'm not using any at the moment, something with a lot of features and wont lag me in games.
  19. Slavik

Sador likes this.
  20. SchmitzIT

SchmitzIT Well-Known Member

I also stick with MS Security Essentials. And common sense.