Another considering leaving vBulletin

mistypants

I've just got some questions!

Currently, my site is running vBulletin 4.1.11. I am aware that the vBulletin importer for vB4 is not official but I'm hoping it's alright to ask these questions in here:
  1. Visitor Messages: will they be preserved in updating?
  2. Private Messages: likewise.
  3. Post Formatting: how broken can I expect it to be? As in, if I made this list in vBulletin, would the BBCode translate over to Xenforo?
  4. Avatar Size: Would it be possible to allow avatars of different sizes in the member info blocks, at the side of each post? I realize that Xenforo was going for a uniform approach and this would defeat the purpose, etc., but I'm curious.
  5. Navigation: is it easy to edit the top navigation bars? I played around with a demo for a while and didn't come across anything, but it is possible I just missed it. I am fine with using HTML if I must, but having some sort of Admin CP option would also be nice.
  6. Moderators: We have two sorts of moderators, ones that have power in only certain sections and other, global moderators, who also have power to ban. Is this possible in Xenforo?
Sorry if these are obvious! I've been sniffing around the site for a while, and did play with the demo. I don't expect anyone to answer all of these, but anything is appreciated! Thank you!

1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) The markup is mostly the same. Embedded videos are the most common markup problem after an import, but you can deal with that manually. For example:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/converting-media-tags-from-vb3.25035/#post-305054

4) I remember some one doing this but I can't find the thread. It requires some code modifications. But as you say, XF is going for the "uniform approach". Everything is designed around fixed avatar sizes, so this is likely to require some extra effort to make it work well.

5) The default tabs are editable in the templates. There isn't a "nav manager" per se, but this addon works well for managing extra tab links:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/nodes-as-tabs.9/

6) Yes that is possible with XF's permission system.

Thank you!
I've come up with another question.

The first pertains to mod (or, I suppose they're called Resources here) availability:
For a certain section on my site, users are only granted an addition to their post counts (as in, a +1) if their post is above a certain number of characters (say, 1000). It's only for this one section, while others are toggled on and off depending on the nature of the section. It's done through this modification. Is there an equivalent feature in Xenforo, or at least a resource to do the same?

... I had another but I've forgotten.

It's done through this modification. Is there an equivalent feature in Xenforo, or at least a resource to do the same?

No Increase Post Count For Short Posts
vB Version: 4.x.xRating: (7 votes - 4.86 average)Installs: 25
Released: 28 Dec 2010Last Update: NeverDownloads: 95

Nothing similar to that .... I'm sure it would be easy to do.

A no nonsense migration would be easily accomplishable via SchmitzIT. cheap too.

Thank you!
I've come up with another question.

The first pertains to mod (or, I suppose they're called Resources here) availability:
For a certain section on my site, users are only granted an addition to their post counts (as in, a +1) if their post is above a certain number of characters (say, 1000). It's only for this one section, while others are toggled on and off depending on the nature of the section. It's done through this modification. Is there an equivalent feature in Xenforo, or at least a resource to do the same?

... I had another but I've forgotten.

I haven''t seen such a modification here but that should be pretty easy to code. Try to put in a request at the Request forum and hopefully someone will code it for you.

Nothing similar to that .... I'm sure it would be easy to do.

A no nonsense migration would be easily accomplishable via SchmitzIT. cheap too.
I haven''t seen such a modification here but that should be pretty easy to code. Try to put in a request at the Request forum and hopefully someone will code it for you.
Thank you guys! I'm not a licensed member so I can't request any at the moment, but good to know it would be a fairly easy modification to make. I would of course be willing to pay a bit if required. :)

Edit: Thought of something else here (sorry for all the questions)! vBulletin has groups that can be created by users, with discussions inside of them etc. Is there a similar feature for Xenforo?

Top Bottom