Anonymous Reactions

Alpha1

This post explains it best:
Is there a way to not show username when liking a post? I'm a member of a vbulletin board where the likes are anonymous. I prefer likes to be anonymous because sometimes users are reluctant to like a post so as not to offend other users with opposing/competing views. I want members to focus on the number of likes a post receives and not focus on who gave the likes.

I have been running a reputation system with anonymous ratings for well over a decade. With negative ratings you get problems unless these are anonymous.
Please consider to add a usergroup permission to view who rated.

While such setting is not for everyone, it would be really useful for those who want to avoid such flame wars.

Upvote 21
I vigorously support the suggestion to implement a switch that allows "likes" (and probably all reactions) to be either public or anonymous.

This will allow the administrator to further customize reactions to the age, experience, demographic and psychological sensitivities of the board's members.

Didn't know what upvoting is, but I figured it out. Thanks. Participating in these forums, even clumsily, helps me learn things about XF features.

Why have I not seen this before. The amount of silly old duffers who get offended when someone disagrees, it would be much better to allow these to be anon

Why have I not seen this before. The amount of silly old duffers who get offended when someone disagrees, it would be much better to allow these to be anon
This is a downside of allowing negative comments. I do have a (respectfully) disagree reaction but I ask users to explain why but often they don’t. So I support an option for anonymising.

There already is an add-on for the anonymous reactions:

Allows to see reactions list only for users/groups with permission

Features:
  • Hiding other's reactions from reaction list row and link to reaction list page from users without permission (list page also protected with permission)
  • Permissions is node/category/album specific

Supported content types:
  • XFRM resource items & updates
  • XFMG media & comments
  • QuoteBook quotes
  • Comments from [UW] Forum Comments System
  • Any other content type supported by default (if uses standart reaction display tag), but with "global" permission (not node/category/album specific)

There already is an add-on for the anonymous reactions:

Great! but notew this is a suggestion, ie to be able to have it as an option in core XF without needing an addon.

I do not need this functionality. But I would like to point out that XF upvoting and downvoting is already anonymous without a public/alert option. And reactions are the opposite. So why not tackle both? Options for both?

Let's follow logic. If one is anonymous, why is the other public? Simple solution. Options.

For this reason I voted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom