Add-on Anonymous Posting XF 2

Edrondol

There was an addon for the ability to post Anonymously in XF1, by @xfrocks, but they are not planning on doing this for XF2.

It's handy for times when people want to post personal issues without revealing their identity (although Admins can always see who posted). It's not a must have for us to move to XF2, but it's really high on our list.

Thanks in advance!

For the record, I'd also be interested in this kind of add-on for XF2, but it would have to be made available in the RM.

In addition to xfrocks add-on, which is the one I guess most of us are using, I see a couple of other add-ons for XF1.x which sort of could be adapted for this, but they are currently unmaintained:

Hi,

Can you list the precise features of the addon?

Thank you,
Thibeault

Sorry I somehow missed this!

We were using this one, but encountered a major bug in it when we upgraded to 1.5.8. We paid an outside dev to fix the issue because xfrocks was very slow in getting back to us (as in many many months).

Core Functionality
In a nutshell we allow one User Group the privileges to post anonymously, where the thread/post is not associated with their User Name. It is done via an "Anonymous" checkbox in the message posting box (next to the "post" button). In the case of our existing add-on, it associates all Anonymous posts with a single special Anonymous User Account. So all anonymous posts look like they are made from that one single Anonymous Account.

Wish List
Beyond the core functions, here are a few things that would be "nice to have".
  • Extend it to Media Gallery items
  • Extend it to Profile Posts
  • Ability to specify permissions by User Group & Node. (e.g. allow User Group X to post anonymously in ALL nodes; allow User Group Y to post anonymously only in Nodes 35 & 36; etc.)
  • Ability to delineate Anonymous posters. So each user account gets an Anonymous ID for their anonymous posts. That way you could tell one anonymous poster from another in a thread, but you still would not know who it was. For example you'd have Anonymous 705, Anonymous 707, Anonymous 302, etc. Actually it'd be better if they got names like Anonymous Bird, Anonymous Flower, Anonymous Rocket, etc. It would be much easier to follow the flow of anonymous conversations if there were a way to tell anonymous users apart.

Sorry I somehow missed this!

We were using this one, but encountered a major bug in it when we upgraded to 1.5.8. We paid an outside dev to fix the issue because xfrocks was very slow in getting back to us (as in many many months).

Core Functionality
In a nutshell we allow one User Group the privileges to post anonymously, where the thread/post is not associated with their User Name. It is done via an "Anonymous" checkbox in the message posting box (next to the "post" button). In the case of our existing add-on, it associates all Anonymous posts with a single special Anonymous User Account. So all anonymous posts look like they are made from that one single Anonymous Account.

Wish List
Beyond the core functions, here are a few things that would be "nice to have".
  • Extend it to Media Gallery items
  • Extend it to Profile Posts
  • Ability to specify permissions by User Group & Node. (e.g. allow User Group X to post anonymously in ALL nodes; allow User Group Y to post anonymously only in Nodes 35 & 36; etc.)
  • Ability to delineate Anonymous posters. So each user account gets an Anonymous ID for their anonymous posts. That way you could tell one anonymous poster from another in a thread, but you still would not know who it was. For example you'd have Anonymous 705, Anonymous 707, Anonymous 302, etc. Actually it'd be better if they got names like Anonymous Bird, Anonymous Flower, Anonymous Rocket, etc. It would be much easier to follow the flow of anonymous conversations if there were a way to tell anonymous users apart.
Actually I'd go as far as to suggest an entire, although not huge, dedicated permissions section just for anonymous posting. For example, permitting or forbidding anonymous posters from being able to mention a user. So for example if one user has chosen to be anonymous on a thread, a guest or another user will be able to mention and thus make him receive notifications, speaking of which reminds me of notifications - It'd be great to give registered users the ability to receive notifications such as quotes and mentioning for their anonymous posts.

Perhaps even extending this to anonymous private messages.

I might have gone a bit too far but it would be very cool to have these.

Top Bottom