1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 Animated Gifs problem

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by vexx, Mar 23, 2013.

1. vexx

vexx Active Member

So, I was having problem displaying animated gifs within threads. However, did some searching around and I found that I need to install the ImageMagik module along with the PECL extension. I installed them just fine, enabled the option from ACP..all good so far.

Now, here comes the problem. While I can upload the animated gifs for any user, when they are displayed, not only they are static, but it seems like the gif itself is displayed on a transparent background.

Here is the screenshot:

And the original avatar that needs to be displayed (evidently, the atoms spin around etc):

Long story short, I'm clueless what's the reason behind this.

Oh and here's my phpinfo for imagik

imagik.jpg

2. vexx

vexx Active Member

a bit of an update...the animated gif in the above example is 100x90 and i deducted that it got this ugly error when doing the resize. i tried uploading a square gif (100x100) and this time, it was uploaded correctly..however, it's still not animated.

3. Fufu

Fufu Well-Known Member

Is the '.gif' being re-sized of it's original boundaries that the '.gif' was encoded for?

4. vexx

vexx Active Member

yep..it's resized at 102x102 (XF's default)

5. vexx

vexx Active Member

so..i'm guessing there's no support for this issue? I'm asking since I did exactly as advised by the platform itself and its developers but I still can't figure out why this doesn't work.

6. Jeremy P

Jeremy P Well-Known Member

XF has always had a buggy Imagick implementation but nobody has ever been able to figure it out. I just went back to GD and said we don't support animated avatars.

The next XF version fixes a bug with Imagick gif resizing so hopefully that was the problem all along.
    Uploaded animated gifs flicker