XF 2.0 Animated gif for avatar

anon666

Hi, some users of my forum have asked me how they can use gifs or animated images as their profile image. XenForum accepts gif images but they don't move or show any animation.

How can you see the movement in the avatars?

Thank you

Actually you will (if I remember correctly) also have to have the iMageMagick PECL enabled in PHP. as I said in an earlier post.
If you have access to the command line of the server by SSH then you can see what is loaded with the command php -m
command.

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 1.39.58 AM.webp

If you are using a shared hosting or a control panel it should also be able to show you what modules/PECL's are loaded there.

Actually you will (if I remember correctly) also have to have the iMageMagick PECL enabled in PHP. as I said in an earlier post.
If you have access to the command line of the server by SSH then you can see what is loaded with the command php -m
command.

View attachment 266093

If you are using a shared hosting or a control panel it should also be able to show you what modules/PECL's are loaded there.

Correct, I try to upload an animated avatar and it hangs for a few minutes then errors out.Image.webp

Correct, I try to upload an animated avatar and it hangs for a few minutes then errors out.
It's been a few years since I've had to deal with it, but there was a security feature that could be enabled on a VPS that sometimes caused issues. But honestly it's been so long (and I'm getting old) I can't remember exactly what it was.
Are you sure you are using the latest version of ImageMagick?
Is this shared hosting?
One recommendation I found was increasing the PHP timeout limit. If you are on a shared hosting plan or an over-sold VPS you could have issues as PHP/ImageMagick has to process the image and if there are not adequate resources it can cause longer time to process.
Albeit an older version, but this may still work (I have all my XF sites offline currently)

Have you tried uploading the animated avatar into a thread and see if that works? If not, very likely a timeout issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom