And you say xF is censorship....

Banana Pup

So in a thread here on xF last night I said some things against vB5.. Today I log into vBulletin forums to be greeted by..

You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never

I have not posted on vB in weeks, so the ban had to be them patroling other sites and speaking out against vB5

So in a thread here on xF last night I said some things against vB5.. Today I log into vBulletin forums to be greeted by..

No reason was specified.

I have not posted on vB in weeks, so the ban had to be them patroling other sites and speaking out against vB5
Caching bug on vB5, or an issue on vB4 (Some reported both).

I can say with relative certainty that it's definitely not a local caching issue. It's definitely a server issue.

Attachments

• Capture - Banned.webp
    Capture - Banned.webp
    48.1 KB · Views: 100
Took four tries to log into the members area too, so it is something on their end, not a "cache issue" as they are claiming.

Took four tries to log into the members area too, so it is something on their end, not a "cache issue" as they are claiming.
No one claimed youe problem was a cache issue, that was the banned message (only).

There was a seperate basabase issue earlier as well. Two unrelated issues close together is always good fun to track down.

Almost as much fun as reading all the nonsense that gets posted about them afterwards.

No one claimed youe problem was a cache issue, that was the banned message (only).

There was a seperate basabase issue earlier as well. Two unrelated issues close together is always good fun to track down.

Almost as much fun as reading all the nonsense that gets posted about them afterwards.
While I understand that it was a technical issue and most likely not their fault that it happened, the banned message was still rather bad, and people do have a certain right to be annoyed about it. And while a notice was placed on vB.com about database issues, there wasn't much sharing about the banned bug, and how to fix it (as just refreshing didn't always seem to do the job, which made it seem like you were actually banned.)

Dont be a moron.

It was a memcache issue, returning corrupted datastore data.
Not trying to be one. This is the point Paul: to any customer this must have felt amateurish (or worse), regardless of the issue that caused it. I haven't experienced this anywhere else. So you're saying that it absolutely could not have been prevented by vB, yet it exclusively existed on their website?

And what Sador said.

I haven't experienced this anywhere else. .
I have not experienced 90+% of the bugs I fix, neither have most people, that doesnt mean they dont exist.

So you're saying that it absolutely could not have been prevented by vB, yet it exclusively existed on their website?
No it could not have been prevented. Servers dont generally give advanced warning that they are going to play up.
No its not "exclusive", where did I say that ? It could just as easily happen on any set-up running memcached as the datastore. It was a memcached issue, not a vb issue.

I doubt very much that this can not be prevented with regular server maintenance, other solutions etc. Most of these things are in fact human error. But there's no way of investigating it, IB can cover up and claim whatever. This issue has never happened in the whole history of vBulletin, nor have I experienced or heard about it on any other vBulletin or other forum or any other website. Talk about bad luck lol.

I doubt very much that this can not be prevented with regular server maintenance, other solutions etc. Most of these things are in fact human error. But there's no way of investigating it, IB can cover up and claim whatever. This issue has never happened in the whole history of vBulletin, nor have I experienced or heard about it on any other vBulletin or other forum or any other website. Talk about bad luck lol.
Bugs generally occur due to a combination of specific hardware, software, etc. Some really only occur in a very specific setup, with a specific version of software or added scripts, or whatever. Paul is also right that these kind of things are hard to prevent, as you don't know what will hit and when. Even if it was a human error.

However, how it's been dealt with after it happened was a lot worse.

Most issues regarding corrupt data in memcached can be traced back to the client library the application uses, and more specifically data compression.

No reason was specified.

It is amazing how quickly some people would jump to conclusions without having all the facts.

I posted at vb forums yesterday that I did not like the look of the vb 5 and I was not banned at both their forums, vb.com nor vb.org.

One thing about vbulletin, they are very tolerant and democratic. There you can speak your mind and your threads will not get closed nor would you get banned for expresing your thoughts/views/concerns.

It is amazing how quickly some people would jump to conclusions without having all the facts.

I posted at vb forums yesterday that I did not like the look of the vb 5 and I was not banned at both their forums, vb.com nor vb.org.

One thing about vbulletin, they are very tolerant and democratic. There you can speak your mind and your threads will not get closed nor would you get banned for expresing your thoughts/views/concerns.
Thats because they have private licensed member only forums that they hide all the bad press behind..

Top Bottom